proc geocode freezes

Contributor

proc geocode freezes

My SAS system is SAS9.3 installed on a winserver 2008 box, and I have been trying to geocode a big set of US address (for longitude and latitude). My map dataset is from Tiger Line. First I run the procedure looped over counties, and the program runs slower and slower and finally freezes. I thought it might be too many addresses for each loop. So I changed strategy, and run the procedure by batch with fixed number of addresses of 100. But the result is similar. After about half of an hour, the program freezes again. I thought there must be some memory issue which causes this strange behavior, but the task manager shows that the used memory is stable ( not much change ).

I could never make sense of it. It seems to me that the system is just like a human - being, working hard and hard so that it moves slower and slower, and finally breaks down. It seems that the only way to make it work is to run a small batch and then exit the program, then run the next batch and stop the program completely again , ... all mannually. Then I won't be able to finish my job within the next a couple of years without doing anything else.  Does anyone have any idea what this is? Thank you.

Contributor

Re: proc geocode freezes

I would like to add a little bit about "proc geocode". This procedure is different for SAS 9,2 and 9.3. The 9.2 version can only do zip coding at the best while 9.3 version can do street coding, which means that it gives the results right at the rooftop, and yet it is not part of GIS module (only in BASE module). I use this procedure partly because the company does not have GIS module.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Searching for previous forum posts should have netted you this:

https://communities.sas.com/message/130963#130963

or searching for Tech Support notes should have gotten this: 48454 - The GEOCODE procedure might cause SAS® to stop processing when you perform street-level geoc...

cynthia

Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

Thank you, Cynthia. I didn't believe someone had this problem. My IT guys will work on the fix and I'll let you how it goes.

Contributor

Here is what happened. When we applied the hotfix, it spitted this message:

This hot fix can not be applied to maintenance version 1

It seemed to have failed.

However when we clicked through the "ok" buttons, the message box said:

The hot fix package installer completed successfully.

When I checked what file the hotfix is about, it's a dll file "geocode.dll". It's newer than the one in our system, but it failed to update our system. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Contributor

I want to thank everybody that tried to help about this issue. It turns out that our SAS version was 9.3 M1. Lately the IT upgraded it to M2 and, after the hotfix was applied, the procedure starts working.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation