BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasjoker
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Ladies and Gentlemen:

After I export a SAS data with a lot of text strings to Excel 2010.  The Excel reports:

Excel found unreadable content in ... do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?

After I click okay, the Excel fail to repair the contents, and everything is blank (see below)

My SAS code is :

proc export data=bx.xxx outfile='e:\temp\xxx .xlsx' dbms = xlsx replace;

run;

The SAS I'm running is PC SAS for Windows 7 64 bit.

What did I do wrong?  Thanks !

5 REPLIES 5
RichardinOz
Quartz | Level 8

Is your MS Office install also 64 bit?

Are you able to identify "unreadable" content in the xml file by dumping it into Notepad+ before allowing Excel to attempt recovery?

Does your SAS data contain non standard characters eg as part of company names?

Richard

sasjoker
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Rich:

Thank you so much for helping out -

Mine is 64 bit win and office.  It is likely that the company names contains some non standard characters.  but I tried the unicode mode, and it is still the same.  When I open the repair log, it says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

-<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error034800_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'E:\temp\connected_company.xlsx'</summary>-<removedParts summary="Following is a list of removed parts:"><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/sharedStrings.xml part with XML error. (Strings) Illegal xml character. Line 1, column 203.</removedPart></removedParts>-<removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:"><removedRecord>Removed Records: Cell information from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part</removedRecord></removedRecords></recoveryLog>

I don't know how to move forward....

RichardinOz
Quartz | Level 8

You might be able to narrow it down by importing the "recovered" table back into SAS (under a different name) and using Proc Compare to identify which records/columns are giving you a problem.  Proc Compare has a number of options; you might need to play with it a bit to track down where the error is being generated (assuming it is a data driven error rather than a failure to write a readable xml file).

Once you have identified the illegal character(s) a data step using the Translate() function (read the doco - the parameter order is unusual).

Richard

sasjoker
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Rich:

Is there a way to just get rid of those company names with unconventional characteristics?  The thing is that I'm mainly concerned about the companies in the U.S., so those names are not really essential for me; I'm okay with throwing them away.  Thank you -

RichardinOz
Quartz | Level 8

If you are sure the problem is in the company names you could use the following where clause to screen out all names which include anything besides standard English letter, numerals and spaces:

where company_name = compress (company_name, ' AD', 'K') ;

(this instructs the compress function to discard every character unless it is a space, English letter, or digit, in this instance the 'K' modifier says 'keep those')

You may have to add in the registered trade mark symbol (small R in a circle) if your companies use it.

Richard

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation