BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hello:

I would like to change some variable names in old dataset.  I would like to compare those two variable names in Old and New dataset.  I use proc compare.   However, i didn't see it list the details for the variable names.  How to get the complete list variables of both dataset?

Thanks.

Proc Compare BASE=&State COMPARE=&State.update outnoequal out=toprint;

TITLE1 "&State original names vs Changed Names";

Run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Oh, so the goal is to get a list of variables that are in only one of the datasets, rather than comparing values of the data?

I like @Tom's idea of PROC COMPARE LISTALL.  But I couldn't see an easy way to get an output dataset with the variables:

data myclass;
  set sashelp.class(rename=(height=MyHeight));
run;

proc compare base=sashelp.class compare=myclass listall;
run;

Similar to @ballardw's approach, you use PROC SQL to read dictionary.columns and find the variables that are only in one dataset (but as noted before dictionary.columns gets BIG if you have a lot of libraries defined, so PROC CONTENTS out= followed by merge or SQL is certainly reasonable as well):

proc sql;
  select libname, memname, name
  from dictionary.columns
  where  (libname="SASHELP" and memname="CLASS")
      or (libname="WORK" and memname="MYCLASS")
  group by name
  having count(*)=1
  ;
quit; 
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Quentin
Super User

Do you mean you renamed variables, and then want to compare the variables from the old dataset with the old names to the variables in the new dataset with the new names?

You can use VAR statement and WITH statement to list the variables you want to compare, e.g.:

data myclass;
run;

proc compare base=sashelp.class compare=myclass;
  var height;
  with MyHeight;
run;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Is there a way to list the full variable names?  Not just the correct ones?  Thanks.

Quentin
Super User
I don't understand, maybe you could post an example? You can list as many variables as you want on the VAR statement and the WITH statement. You should have the same number of variables on both statements. It will compare the first variable from each list, the second variable from each list, etc, regardless of the names.
ballardw
Super User

Maybe not exactly what you want but here is one way to only look at variable names:

proc tabulate data=sashelp.vcolumn;
   where libname='WORK' and memname in ("SET1" "SET2");
   class memname name;
   table name,
         memname;
run;

You will get a count of 1 under the Mename (data set name) when present.

Note that the value of Memname in sashelp.vcolumn is uppercase. So you would need to ensure that macro variables are in upper case.

This approach does have the nice feature that Proc Compare will never have: you could compare many sets at one time, just have each one in the where clause. If you wanted to look at all sets in a library then the "and memname in ..." part isn't needed.

You could ask for other things such as type to know if the variable is numeric or character, or labels to see if they have the same label.

SASHELP.Vcolum contains lots of information about all variables in all datasets in all libraries. So if you have many library/dataset combinations this may take a little while to run.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I think you want the LISTALL option on the PROC COMPARE statement.

Control the listing of variables and observations
LISTALL
lists all variables and observations that are found in only one data set.

This is show in the output the variables that do not appear in both datasets.

Or perhaps instead of comparing the original datasets you want to compare the output from proc contents?

ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thanks for  all your promt reply.  I have 1000 variables, and 300 got rename.  I did use proc content then merge to compare the name.  It just I am curious if I could do this in one step by using proc compare. 

Quentin
Super User

Oh, so the goal is to get a list of variables that are in only one of the datasets, rather than comparing values of the data?

I like @Tom's idea of PROC COMPARE LISTALL.  But I couldn't see an easy way to get an output dataset with the variables:

data myclass;
run;

proc compare base=sashelp.class compare=myclass listall;
run;

Similar to @ballardw's approach, you use PROC SQL to read dictionary.columns and find the variables that are only in one dataset (but as noted before dictionary.columns gets BIG if you have a lot of libraries defined, so PROC CONTENTS out= followed by merge or SQL is certainly reasonable as well):

proc sql;
  select libname, memname, name
  from dictionary.columns
  where  (libname="SASHELP" and memname="CLASS")
      or (libname="WORK" and memname="MYCLASS")
  group by name
  having count(*)=1
  ;
quit; 
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Even easier and very fast:

proc compare base  =sashelp.class(obs=0) 
            compare=sashelp.class(drop=age obs=0) listall ;
run; 

SAS Output

Listing of Variables in SASHELP.CLASS but not in SASHELP.CLASS                 

Variable  Type  Length                                     

Age       Num        8       

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation