need help with error message, File WORK.MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017.DATA does not exist

New Contributor

need help with error message, File WORK.MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017.DATA does not exist

[ Edited ]

ERROR: File WORK.MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017.DATA does not exist.

I need some help with the error message above,

error.PNG
Super User

Re: need help with error message, File WORK.MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017.DATA does not exist

Posted in reply to beckyhe21

It will really help to show the entire log with the CODE and the messages that were generated. The message is exactly as it says: the procedure or step that was requesting the data set found that it does not exist.

Some likely causes are incorrect spelling fo the data set name, right name but in a different library, a previous step that you expected to create the data set failed (and maybe you didn't notice), you restarted SAS but did not run the code that generated the data set in the WORK library which is deleted at the end of a session.

SAS Super FREQ

Re: need help with error message, File WORK.MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017.DATA does not exist

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to beckyhe21

Hi: It is nearly impossible to guess what is wrong from the snippet you have posted. However, I assume you have a SET statement for the file MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017? Are you sure the file exists in the WORK library? Have you spelled the name of the data set correctly? For example, if you REALLY have data called WORK.MCDQHP_ZZ_JAN2017 in your WORK location but you have a set statement with:
SET MCDQHP_EP_JAN2017; then the error message is self-explanatory -- you created the file in work with one name and you are trying to use it in a SET or MERGE statement using a different name.

I can exactly duplicate your error message as shown in my complete log below.

cynthia

bad_name.png

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation