low correlations between the dependent and independents

Contributor

low correlations between the dependent and independents

I am using a logistic regression and my biggest problem is the very low correlations between the dependent and independents. The highest correlation with the dependent variable is a spend variable with a boxcox transformation and yield only a correlation of 0.2.

The results of my model are not very impressive and this, I beleive, it is related to the fact that all of the variables have a correlation lower or equal to 0.2 with the dependent,

the area under the curve is 0.684 and the classification table is below. on final note, I did try different transformations on all independents and interactions as well.

Did someone had a similar experience?

Trusted Advisor

Re: low correlations between the dependent and independents

I can't recall if this ever happened to me, but low correlations usually mean poor model fit

Contributor

After my posting, I have added a new variable from the database to my list of predictors and the distribution was bimodal which led me to think that my sample is including two different kind of population, i have corrected this and correlations are now fine

Respected Advisor

This is a super good example of how important data visualization is to good analysis.

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation