BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
newsasuser
Calcite | Level 5

I am using a databank to isolate subjects with a diagnosis (dcode) from a specific list. In the dataset, each subject (using the identifier inc_key) may have multiple rows if they have more than one diagnosis. In my code I first created a dummy variable (tbi) for each observation that had a diagnosis of interest. Then I tried to extract only subjects with a "tbi" diagnosis, and not use any subjects that either had no "tbi" or that had tbi+ something else. It didn't work though, and Im not sure why. Help would be much appreciated!

macro for the diagnoses Im interested in:

data _null_;
length list $30000 ;
do x=800.0 to 801.9 by 0.01
,803.0 to 804.9 by 0.01
,850.0 to 854.1 by 0.01
,950.1 to 950.3 by 0.01
;
list=catx(' ',list,put(x,6.2));
end;
call symput('list',list);
run;

creating dummy variable for tbi:

data mt2.tbi1;set ntdb15.rds_dcode;
by inc_key;
tbi=0;
if dcode in (&list) then tbi=1;
run;

output only subjects that have tbi diagnosis and no others:
data mt2.tbiplus ;set mt2.tbi1;

by inc_key;

if first.inc_key=last.inc_key;

if tbi=0 then delete;run;

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

First, let me suggest that you switch from CALL SYMPUT to CALL SYMPUTX.  That will remove thousands of trailing blanks that are part of &LIST.

Second, you have to picture the BY variables, and which observations are being selected by the final DATA step.  The IF statement deletes some, then the DELETE statement deletes more.  If a subject has 5 observations, the IF statement deletes the first and last, and only the middle three get inspected by the DELETE statement.  That's probably not the correct logic.  Here's a way to loop through twice in the same DATA step:

data want;

wanted = 'Y';

do until (last.inc_key);

set ntdb15.rds_dcode;
   by inc_key;

if dcode not in (&list) then wanted = 'N';

end;

do until (last.inc_key);

set ntdb15.rds_dcode;
   by inc_key;

if wanted = 'Y' then output;

end;

drop wanted;

run;

The top DO loop inspects all the observations for a single INC_KEY, and the bottom DO loop runs through the exact same observations (outputting them if appropriate).

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@newsasuser wrote:

It didn't work though, and Im not sure why. 

Could you explain what is happening? Can you show us what you get that is wrong? 

Are there errors in the SASLOG? Please show us the SASLOG.

--
Paige Miller
newsasuser
Calcite | Level 5

There were no errors in the log. When I checked a few of the resulting subjects against the original file where I got all the diagnoses, I saw that some of those subjects actually had additional diagnoses that I wasnt interested in. That's what I mean by not working

ballardw
Super User

"Didn't work" is awful vague.

Are there errors in the log?: Post the code and log in a code box opened with the {i} to maintain formatting of error messages.

No output? Post any log in a code box.

Unexpected output? Provide input data in the form of a dataset, the actual results and the expected results. Data should be in the form of a data step. Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

Is your DCODE variable numeric or character?

Also you might provide a small example of the critical variables in ntdb15.rds_dcode and then what you expect for the result in mt2.tbiplus.

I suspect that this might be causing one problem:

if first.inc_key=last.inc_key;

which only keeps any records with an inc_key with only one record for further processing.

So if that one record does not have the tbi=1 you delete it with the following line.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation