BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vseshad
Calcite | Level 5

Can I create a macro1 with a %include statement referencing macro2 that is stored in macro catalog location? Or do I need to store macro2 as a sas file for me to be able to use %include statement?

For example: 

options mstored sasmstore=test;

libname test "c:/desktop/test";

%macro macro1/store source;

proc print data=test;

run;

%mend;

%macro macro2;

%include "c:\desktop\macro1.sas";  <----- Is is possible for me to refer to macro1 like this? Or should I save all the above code in a file    %mend;                                                    and refer that file?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Can I create a macro1 with a %include statement referencing macro2 that is stored in macro catalog location?

It depends on if the catalog is available. If you have it in a library that isn't assigned it won't work for example. 

I would personally recommend saving each macro into a .sas file and then putting them into a folder. You can then %INCLUDE all macros in that folder using:

%include "C:\_localdata\SASMacros\*.sas";

Or you can create the auto call library as indicated already. The documentation may seem confusing, but it's quite straightforward.

In that case, you save each macro into a file, with the macro name as the file name. Then specify:

option sasautos='path to folder with macros';

@vseshad wrote:

Can I create a macro1 with a %include statement referencing macro2 that is stored in macro catalog location? Or do I need to store macro2 as a sas file for me to be able to use %include statement?

For example: 

proc print data=test;

run;

%mend;

%macro macro2;

%include "c:\desktop\macro1.sas";  <----- Is is possible for me to refer to macro1 like this? Or should I save all the above code in a file    %mend;                                                    and refer that file?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you want to store your macros in separate files then I would highly recommend you set up a macro AUTOCALL library. You don't need to use %INCLUDE with these at all - SAS will search for them automatically:

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=mcrolref&docsetTarget=n1o5fkxq0gqdpcn1xs3ksdks69tf.htm&docset...

vseshad
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your reply.  I am trying to understand what would be the best way to use %include to refer a macro. I understand from your reply that %include isn't the best solution to refer a stored macro but if I still want to use %include, how would I go about doing it? Thank you again for your reply. Users such as yourself are a huge help to novices like me.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The %INCLUDE command reads in lines of code. So to "%include" a macro you need have a text file with the SAS code to define the macro.  So make a file that looks like

%macro mymacro 
%mend;

Then in the program where you want have the macro defined you use

%include FILENAME;

SAS has a lot of ways to refer to source of the text lines, including source members in SAS catalogs. The easiest is just to use a quoted physical file name.

Reeza
Super User

Can I create a macro1 with a %include statement referencing macro2 that is stored in macro catalog location?

It depends on if the catalog is available. If you have it in a library that isn't assigned it won't work for example. 

I would personally recommend saving each macro into a .sas file and then putting them into a folder. You can then %INCLUDE all macros in that folder using:

%include "C:\_localdata\SASMacros\*.sas";

Or you can create the auto call library as indicated already. The documentation may seem confusing, but it's quite straightforward.

In that case, you save each macro into a file, with the macro name as the file name. Then specify:

option sasautos='path to folder with macros';

@vseshad wrote:

For example: 

proc print data=test;

run;

%mend;

%macro macro2;

Thank you.

vseshad
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Reeza. I understand this a lot better now

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation