BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I'm having a problem with importing a TXT file correctly.

Normally, the file has a lot of lines with each 84 characters. = 1 record

With the code I have here-under, I can perfectly import the text-file as I want. (one line = 1 record)

Now, I received an update of this TXT-file, and on each line, there are 8400 characters.    (one line = 100 records)

The second line start with record 101.

When I use this code on this updated file, SAS only reads the first 84 characters on the first line and does not read characters 85-8400 on the first line, which are records 2-100.

It directly reads line 2 which contains record 101.

My question:  how can I tell SAS to read character 85-169 as the second record, character 170-254 as the third record, etc  ?

Anyone has an idea?

-----------------------

%macro readOneFile(path_in=,file_in=,file_out=);

DATA &file_out.;
INFILE "&path_in.&file_in."
DSD DELIMITER=""  TRUNCOVER
;

LENGTH
  var1 $ 5
  var2 $ 5
  var3 $ 3
  var4 $ 10
  var5 $ 10
  var6 8
  var7 8
  var8 8
  var9 8
  var10 8
;

INPUT
  @1 var1 $5.
  @6 var2 $5.
  @11 var3 $3.
  @14 var4 $10.
  @24 var5 $10.
  @34 var6 7.
  @41 var7 11.
  @52 var8 10.
  @62 var9 12.
  @74 var10 11.
;

RUN;

%mend fileread;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Use @@ at the end of INPUT .

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Try the lrecl option on the infile:

infile "&path_in.&file_in." dsd truncover lrecl=32767;

To be honest though, you should setup a data transfer document which details the structure of the file, otherwise there is nothing to stop them updating the file each time.  I would also suggest to use CSV, or XML structure for the file.  Made up file formats like this just make the data harder to access.

fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I tried the lrecl=32767 option, but the result is the same:

- the first line in my table contains line 1 character 1-84 (=record 1)

- the second line in my table contains line 2 character 1-84 (= record 101)

records 2 - 100 are not read by SAS. (which are on line 1 in the TXT)

Is there a way to tell SAS that each 85th character is the start of a new record?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, its quite confusing.  Maybe post the file, or a sample thereof.  It does sound very much like you need to go back and get the file being sent converted into something resembling a more useful structure.

Jim_G
Pyrite | Level 9

Write a SAS program that reads the new file  LRECL=8400.  Define 100 variables, each 84 characters long.  Output  each variable 84 characters long (do loop 100 times) to a TXT file. Then read that TXT file with your current program.

fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your answers.

@RW9:

imagine you have a txt-file which contains on 1 line 840 characters, which represent 10 records/observations. 

SAS should read the first 84 characters and put them in a table as the first record. 

Next it should read the next 84 characters (position 85 - 169) of the first line and put them in the table as the second record

Next it should read the next 84 characters (position 170 - 254) of the first line and put them in the table as the third record

and so on.

Is this possible?  Or do I have to ask my source to alter the source file with only 84 characters per line?

@JIM

Just saw in the TXT-file that the end of line 1 and the beginning of line 2 contains each a part of the same record.

Guess it will become difficult to use that file.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, its possible.  As Jim_G has mentioned.  In your import program, read the whole of line 1 into one variable.  Then do a loop over the line to output 10 sections:

data want;

infile xyz... lrecl=8400;

input the_full_line $;

do i=1 to 10;

out_var="";

do j=1 to 84;

out_var=strip(each_bit)||substr(the_full_line,(i-1 * 84)+j,1);

end;

output;

end;

run;

Or something similar to the above.  This would read the whole text from line 1, then break it into 10 sections of 84 characters, and output.

I would still advise however to go with a better structure of datafile, setup a data import agreement, agree on a proper structure, would make your life easier in the long run.

fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

thank you all.

Ksharp
Super User

Use @@ at the end of INPUT .

fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

thanks xia, that's indeed what I needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation