if/then/else

Occasional Contributor

if/then/else

i am having trouble with an if/then/else statement in the computed columns /advanced expression section of the query builder.. is there a super smarty out there that can help???

Super User

Re: if/then/else

There's many, but you need to post your question with more details Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

ok, it's a situation where i have 2 values for an identifier from one of my data tables, ex t1Infotable_colors

i want my statement to be something like this:

if t1infotable_colors (in a list) pink or blue then i want it to display "pretty" else "ugly"  (the actual words as output in the computed column?

obviously the table and values are not my actual values/etc but this is for informational purposes only i am familiar with how to write in crystal syntax, i am new to SAS/SQL how to write this expression to get the desired output for my computed column Smiley Happy

because it is a "computed column" does it have to be a calculation?

i am trying to find the equivalent of a formula editor for creating my own formula field on my report.

Smiley Happy

Super User

You can also use the recode function in computed column rather than advanced expression to do this.

38261 - Using conditional logic in the SAS® Enterprise Guide 4.2 Query Builder

32160 - How to Apply IF-THEN-ELSE Logic by Using SAS® Enterprise Guide

Occasional Contributor

i appreciate the help!!

Super Contributor

I believe the query builder uses proc sql so you would need to use a case statement instead of an if/then..

case when t1infotable_colors in ('pink','blue') then 'pretty' else 'ugly' end

Occasional Contributor

thank you!

Super Contributor

I think the most important question to be asked here is why is Red not included in your list of pretty colors?

Hrmmm?

Haha sorry I couldn't resist

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation