BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
swimmer
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a huge .dat file of size 63G. Is it even possible to read into PC-SAS? My computer has 12G memory.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

There are people with SAS datasets in the terabyte range. Output disc space and run time will likely be the issue.

I would recommend using an OBS option to try importing a few hundred records to make sure the formats and variables look right before loading the whole thing. Nothing like waiting a few hours for something to finish importing only to discover a variable was imported with 6 charcters instead of 12...

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can read it as long as you have enough disk space.  If it is just a text file then you are better off writing the code to read it yourself. Or take a small set of sample records and run it through PROC IMPORT and pull back the generated code and clean it up and point it to the large file.

swimmer
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, Tom. It is a .dat file. I have the data library which tells the name, position, length and type of each variable.

I used data step, infile statement with obs=50, but it still took unbearably long time to get result.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

OBS=50 on INFILE statement should cause it to stop pretty quickly.

You could try coding a STOP statement instead.

data small ;

infile 'big.dat' lrecl=100000 obs=50;

run;

or

data small ;

if _n_ > 50 then stop;

infile 'big.dat' lrecl=100000 ;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation