BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm importing some data from the web using an infile statement in a data step.  Some of the fields contain carriage returns / line feeds  in the middle of the data that cause bad records to be returned.  I'm trying to find the simplest was to clean up the culprit fields which have these characters so the resulting data set in my work file doesn't have these errors.

I was thinking of using the Compress function to remove the characters, but I don't know where to put it in the code.

Compress(name,'0D0A'x)

Here's a simplified version of my code that creates a work file but with errors.

filename notes url "http://www.website.com/....";

data WORK.NOTES;
  infile NOTES 
	delimiter = ',' 
	MISSOVER 
	DSD  
	firstobs=2;

informat name $150. ;
	informat note $300. ;
	format name $150. ;
	format note $300. ;

input

name $
	note $;

run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
13 REPLIES 13
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Not tested, you may need to tweak,

data WORK.NOTES;
  infile NOTES 
	delimiter = ',' 
	MISSOVER 
	DSD  
	firstobs=2
    lrecl=1000;

informat name $150. ;
	informat note $300. ;
	format name $150. ;
	format note $300. ;
input @1 @;
_infile_=compress(_infile_,'0D0A'x);
  input

name $
	note $;

run;
popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

I got this error when inserting this code

ERROR: The INFILE statement MISSOVER option and the INPUT statement double trailing @ option,
       are being used in an inconsistent manner.  The execution of the DATA STEP is being
       terminated to prevent an infinite loop condition.
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Right, changing the double @@ to single @ should fix it.

input @1 @;

Previous post has been updated to reflect the change.

popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

This allowed the code to run, but the problem persists.  I will try to provide some sample data

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Seems to me you have more/different issues than you have presented. So far, we have followed the path you set, while did not get to know exactly what you mean by 'error' or 'problem'.  current process should take care of the 2 control characters you think you have, if not, you can try a full-blown version of it: COMPRESS(_INFILE_,,'C'). This will take out all of the control characters, but still may not tackle your 'error' or 'problem'.

ballardw
Super User

Do you know if the issue is ONLY linefeed or is it Carriage Return Linefeed pair, or carriage return only?

What OS are you running on?

You may be able to set the TERMSTR= option on the infile to correct this but settings would depend on your OS and the actual content of the file.

popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

I think the issue is carriage return only.

Using SAS 9.4 on Windows server 2012.

ballardw
Super User

You might try TERMSTR=CRLF on the infile. This would set the requirement for both a carriage return and linefeed to appear to end a line. Note that if this works you will still have CR in the variable. That should be removed with a string function such as Translate though you'll likely need to use the Hex coded value in code.

popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried TERMSTR=CRLF and TERMSTR=CR, both produced zero records

TERMSTR=LF produced results, but with the bad records due to carriage returns

ballardw
Super User

The FILENAME statement supports the TERMSTR= option for the URL method. It can't hurt to try it there. LF is the default.

Ksharp
Super User
Make it as a Stream File :

data WORK.NOTES;
  infile NOTES recfm=n dlm='<' dsd;
 input @'>' x : $2000. @@;
run;

After that you can remove it by compress(x,'0D0A'x);

popeil51
Fluorite | Level 6

Here's some sample data and simplified code that illustrates my issue.  The imported 'notes' work file has 7 records instead of 5 due to the multiple lines in the 'notes' field for records 3 and 5 in the .txt file.

filename notes 'C:\NotesTest.txt';

proc import 
	datafile=notes
    out=notes
    dbms=tab replace;
	getnames = yes;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation