BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
WilsonSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,all!

I want to install SAS9.4 on linux(Centos) , I was not allowed to install gnome or kde ,so please help me to  install it only on command line interface, and i just need base module to run .sas files in linux , how can I accomplish it .

If you can , please tell me the steps or provide me some documentation.

Thank you so much .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Beginning with SAS 9.4, there is a new  -console option enabling the SAS Deployment Wizard to be run in a command-line only terminal on Unix/Linux :

See page 21 : http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/66034/PDF/default/user.pdf

Please, don't hesitate to share some feedback afterwards if this works as expected. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since all SAS installation is done with the Software Deployment Wizard, which is a graphical Java Application, you need at least a simple X windows environment. Can't think why CentOs wouldn't provide that. If you log on to the server via ssh, have a local X server (like Xmanager) running and have X11 tunneling enabled, you should be able to run the SDW.

I still use CDE on AIX and the ssh/Xmanager configuratíon as stated above.

Just took a look at the setup.sh script (AIX, SAS 9.2). There seems to be a "-sasinstall" option that causes the SDW to run in "headless" mode. Maybe that helps.

WilsonSAS
Calcite | Level 5

thank you for you help

I really log on to the server via ssh,but it is too difficult for me to fully understand your answer,do you mean i have to install a X windows environment? what is X server and SDW,can you tell more about that ,what can i do?Thanks so much.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Unless the -sasinstall option did work for you, let's go into the nitty-gritty of old-style UNIX GUI technology.

GUI-capable applications on UNIX do their communication with the user via the X window system.

The X server is a program that sits on any machine and listens on a network port for clients. These clients can be on the same machine or on any other host that has a network connection to it.

Once a client has connected to the X server, it can send output for display to it, and the X server sends input (mouse actions, keyboard clicks) to the client.

As you see, you may have just the GUI (like gnome or kde) of your local machine, or the virtual desktops of any number of servers on your local machine, seamlessly side-by-side. Probably still the best solution for running a serverpark from one console.

Once your UNIX(Linux) session is aware that there is some X server at hand, the SAS SDW should run.

If you really have no option to get at the GUI of the CentOs system, you can try to set up your own console.

For this, you need some type of X server. My preferred tool is Xmanager (http://www.netsarang.com/download/main.html). You could also try xming.

The next step is to enable X11 (that's the name of the protocol) tunneling in your ssh client. In Putty this is done in the settings dialog under Connection - SSH - X11, "Enable X11 forwarding". Save your session configuration after setting the tick mark.

It may be necessary to enable X11 tunneling in the CentOS server's ssh daemon (Displaying CentOS 6 Applications Remotely (X11 Forwarding) - Techotopia)

Now, start your X server, _then_ start Putty with your saved session, and check if you get localhost:X.Y (X and Y being numbers) when you do echo $DISPLAY, if yes, start the SAS SDW.

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Beginning with SAS 9.4, there is a new  -console option enabling the SAS Deployment Wizard to be run in a command-line only terminal on Unix/Linux :

See page 21 : http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/66034/PDF/default/user.pdf

Please, don't hesitate to share some feedback afterwards if this works as expected. Smiley Happy

cj_blake
SAS Employee

Rona, this option is great if you are just looking to install SAS Foundation. I have found (the hard way) that if you are looking to do anything a little more complicated such as an EBI environment, even in console mode, it will look to connect to an X server. Specifically, it fails at the "Load Content" stage. Pretty annoying.. especially as the SDW will let you start in console mode without setting the DISPLAY variable!

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for the clue :smileycool:. Plan-based installations with multiple tiers - like yours on EBI - are not mentioned as exceptions to the console mode. The exceptions you met might be due to the metadata command-line tools -eg . (importpackage etc.) used at the initialisation stage of the installation process. These tools on Linux/Unix require a pseudo terminal like  Xvfb to be run in a headless session with no X terminal prior setup. The documentation should mention those caveats. This makes me think over whether SDW in console mode nested into a xvfb session  - quite far-fetched I agree - would resolve such issues.

see for instance SAS/GRAPH(R) 9.4: Reference, Third Edition

WilsonSAS
Calcite | Level 5

thank you ronan and KurtBremser  ,I've already installed sas on my linux by running "setup.sh ‐console",but after that ,when i press "sas" it raised some problems

QQ图片20150316010450.png

please tell me whether  it is a big problem when i can normally run  sas files now ,and  how can I run the programs from a remote windows host ,thank you all.

cj_blake
SAS Employee

That is going to start a GUI based version of SAS on your machine. You've installed using -console because, I assume, you have no X capability on that machine so you will have to start SAS in the same way. To do this, run "./sas -nodms".

UPDATE: Actually, that looks like a dependency. You'll probably need to install libXp.x86_64. Then you can start SAS using the above command.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The console option already exists with 9.3 http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/64204/PDF/default/user.pdf . Not really trustworthy with all parts of the SAS.installation.

There is a vfb mentioned with X11. Once I found this note: IBM Knowledge Center isolation the hardware from the software.  SAS is generating al lot of graphical pictures also with EBi or others.
When it use x11 layers I would expect having this not installed giving performance issues. A little bit weird but with R-functions it is also mentioned https://www.labkey.org/wiki/home/Documentation/page.view?name=configVirtualFrame

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

This messages are indicating it wanted to use Images. Using X11  motif libXp That are the server-side libraries of X11. You can need all of that without using a graphical terminal.
When those are installed you normally wil get an error of not able to find an external display (ip-mumber) when going for a terminal.  In batch mode however, you can still need those X libraries.
The reason for that is as as simple as confusing. Building creating some images is not the same as using a graphical terminal (X-server) and that is not the same as using a graphical user interface like CDE Gnome KDE or whatever. Although these three are really different Unix-admins do not often make that difference. "Why are you wanting to go graphical, typing commands if enough it is all you need".  (comparable DOS 2.1 Windows).

---->-- ja karman --<-----
AndrewHowell

Summary: Avoid if at all possible!

I was in a similar situation (albeit with an earlier version of SAS 9) - Windows metadata server, 4 x Linux workspace servers. It was a major pain, and resulted in the installation taking WAY longer. (Tasks that could be done in hours using the GUI would take days on the command line.) No doubt the installation process has improved somewhat, and it is actually possible to create a response file for an unattended installation, but this assumes you already know the answers to all the prompts that are asked by the installation GUI. If you are installing both Non-Prod and Prod platforms, see if you can have gnome/kde on the Non-Prod platform, which you can use to build and test your response file. Alternatively (which is what we ultimately did), convince them of the administrative benefits of having gnome/kde installed (even if just for the duration of the installation).

Good luck!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation