BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CatM
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone,

I have a server I am importing my data from as it was initially created with SQL Server. I usually import the data like this but I have run across an issue with the formats and lengths of some of the character variables being extremely long or the wrong format. the data is yearly data from subjects enrolled. I am cleaning up the data and converting it into sas friendly files for all the years of data we have but this has turned into an issue as the files are way too large. This is the only way i know how to import the data with an OBDC connection to the server:

proc sql;
connect to odbc (dsn=Data);
create table DM.data12 as select * from connection to odbc
(
select * from [DW].[dbo].[fams12]

);

Some of the variables I am importing show up as being 8000 characters long and it's making my dataset impossibly large (50gb) and I cannot even get it to finish running. Is there any code i can try to change the length and/or format of the variables without having to first import and then altering the formats/length within this proc sql step? I would like to do this at the same time that I am importing in order to reduce the amount of memory/time required to change the length. 

if there is an easier way outside of proc sql, I am willing to try it but I have not learned how else to connect to my data server/import my data that does not require proc sql. i am willing to learn other ways if it is much easier as i will be doing this regularly to convert SQL server files into sas files. PS i am using SAS 9.3. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Add the SAS option COMPRESS = YES or better COMPRESS = BINARY on your queries. This will remove all of the extra space from your long columns and reduce disk storage sizes a lot.  You can also apply this option in an OPTIONS statement as well if you want it to apply to all datasets. This is what we do for all our SAS sessions to save space and avoid having to set column lengths explicitly.

proc sql;
create table DM.data12 (compress = binary) as select * from connection to odbc
(
);
quit;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Add the SAS option COMPRESS = YES or better COMPRESS = BINARY on your queries. This will remove all of the extra space from your long columns and reduce disk storage sizes a lot.  You can also apply this option in an OPTIONS statement as well if you want it to apply to all datasets. This is what we do for all our SAS sessions to save space and avoid having to set column lengths explicitly.

proc sql;
create table DM.data12 (compress = binary) as select * from connection to odbc
(
);
quit;

CatM
Obsidian | Level 7

This was exactly what i was looking for, thank you!

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

First thing you need to find is what data types they exist in your source system. SAS applies the default formats based on the source data types. You can convert in-database using database specific function like CAST() or else you can convert them once returned to SAS environment in the first select clause as shown below. 

proc sql;
create table DM.data12 as

select var1 format=$100. length=100, var2 format=$25. length=25

from connection to odbc
(

);

Thanks,
Suryakiran
CatM
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you! I was also trying to figure out how to do it the way you just suggested for my smaller data sets but I wanted to avoid this for the data sets with over 100 variables.
I did this in a data step after I imported the first time around to change all the variable lengths and formats but now that I know where exactly to place it in the proc sql it'll come in handy as well
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

If you have 100's of variables then you can get the data types of source table from (sys.cloumns or dbc.columns) as a table in sas and write a logic to apply sas formats based on source format and put them in macro using proc sql INTO and just call the macro in select clause. 

This approach is helpful only if don't wish the default formats applied by SAS and custom format.

Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation