BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Astounding
PROC Star

OK, so that's the source of the error.  The fix would be to change the matching condition:

b.Client_ID = input(a.Client_ID,6.)

Finally, note that you are selecting too many variables.  You don't have to select variables in order to use them in join conditions.  Which Client_ID would you like to keep in the final result, the one from Client_Report1 or the one from Client_Report2?  That's the one that should appear in the SELECT statement.  Similar considerations apply to other variables.  If you want to keep both, you have to add AS to the SELECT statement for one variable in each pair.

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

here is the change made:

proc sql;

create table work.test as

select a.Client_id, a.Client_name, a.Score, a.Status,

(a.score-b.score) as Score_diff,

case when a.status=b.status then 'match' else 'no match' end as Status_test

from Client_Report2 a

left join Client_Report1 b on b.Client_id=input(a.Client_id,6.);

quit;

i got this error in the log:

ERROR: INPUT function requires a character argument.

ERROR: INPUT function requires a character argument.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time 0.04 seconds

cpu time 0.00 seconds

any idea?

Astounding
PROC Star

A little too much switching around regarding which data set is which.  Try:

on a.Client_id = input(b.Client_id,6.);

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

@Astounding

the code above run with the change you made above. However the result is not what i was expecting. The original data Client_Report1 has 56965 rows and Client_Report2 has 56987 rows.

The result of the work.test shows 2654809 rows which cannot be loaded. i know it is hard for you to check without data in front you.

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

Here is the code run:

proc sql;

create table work.test as

select a.Client_id, a.Client_name, a.Score, a.Status,

(a.score-b.score) as Score_diff,

case when a.status=b.status then 'match' else 'no match' end as Status_test

from Client_Report2 a

left join Client_Report1 b on a.Client_id=input(b.Client_id,6.);

quit;

with suggestion from Astounding in post 25.

PoornimaRavishankar
Quartz | Level 8

If your left join is ON, you should only get the 56,987 rows. Even a full outer join with no matching records will yield at the most only 56,987 + 56,965 rows. 2,654,809 is not even a sum of rows from both tables.  Where did the extra 2,600,000 rows come from when these records aren't in either dataset?

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

yeah that is what im trying to find out. the result is too much that it cannot even display (load) so i can check where the extra data coming from.

PoornimaRavishankar
Quartz | Level 8

No, Armand. My point was you probably have the wrong row counts.

There is no extra data coming unless existing records were broken out into many small records or there is a cartesian join (plain JOIN without left, right, full, center etc.) being done. I woiuld say with SQL the latter is more probable. See if your 'LEFT' keyword is actually in effect. This assuming the initial record counts you posted are right.

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

So yes that s the right row count you have in the post. Now the question is, where  the problem is come from because i have used left join multiple time in my codes and got the expected results. So i am still looking at other ways beside left join to get the result.

Reeza
Super User

I think your original question may have been answered and it's time to end this thread and start a new one.

Do reference this thread if it's still applicable, but with the number of posts its hard to determine what's your current issue.

Reeza
Super User

Do you have multiple ID's in each file? If so each will join with each ID resulting in a big table.

Perhaps your join needs another ON condition, i.e. date/month.

Reeza
Super User

That's only one data set, what about the second data set. Can you post the actual proc contents output please? As well as the log that shows the error?

Armand
Calcite | Level 5

the file u are requesting is huge. To simplify that s what proc content show:

Client_Report1:

TYPE          LEN    FORMAT    INFORMAT    LABEL

Client_id:                  Num             6           $6               $6               imdb id           

Client_name:          CHAR            68          $68             $68            Client name

Score:                     Num              8                                                 Score

Status:                   CHAR             128         $128          $128          Status

Client_Report2

TYPE            LEN    FORMAT    INFORMAT    LABEL 

Client_id:                  Num             6           $6               $6               imdb id            

Client_name:          CHAR            68          $68             $68            Client name

Score:                     Num              8                                                 Score

Status:                   CHAR             128         $128          $128          Status

log:

ERROR: Expression using equals (=) has components that are of different data types.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time 0.04 seconds

cpu time 0.01 seconds

ballardw
Super User

You have

(a.score-b.scorre)

but the variable should be b.score in the original post. Was this retyped or actual copy?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation