BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chappy
Calcite | Level 5

I feel crazy for asking this question but what worked last week is not working this week for some reason

I have the following data have:

date

14MAR2004

16MAR2005

11MAR2006

22MAR2007

02MAR2008

19MAR2009

11MAR2010

I would like to create a "year" column from these date which will be equal to the year of the date plus one (for example, for 14MAR2004 the year would be 2005)

I have used the following:

data want; set have;

year= year(date) + 1;

format year year4.;

run;

This has returned the desired year but this morning sas is returning 1965 as the year value for each date value in the column. Am I missing something? The date value has been previously formatted as date9.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Check your yearcutoff option setting and run a proc contents on your dataset and look at the format and type of your date variable. Make sure its date not datetime.

Old but still relevant for yearcutoff option:

SAS Technical Support News: A GUIDE TO THE YEARCUTOFF= OPTION

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Check your yearcutoff option setting and run a proc contents on your dataset and look at the format and type of your date variable. Make sure its date not datetime.

Old but still relevant for yearcutoff option:

SAS Technical Support News: A GUIDE TO THE YEARCUTOFF= OPTION

chappy
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Reeza. I used  "options yearcutoff=1920;"   before the data statement and it worked. The date variable was already formatted to date9.

Thanks again.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Remove the statement that declares the year format for variable year.  The year format expects a date, not a year.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I would do it this way :

data have;
format date date9.;
input date :date9.;
datalines;
14MAR2004
16MAR2005
11MAR2006
22MAR2007
02MAR2008
19MAR2009
11MAR2010
;

data want;
set have;
yearDate = intnx("YEAR", date, 1); /* move date by 1 year */
format yearDate year4.;
run;

proc print; run;

if your dates are in fact datetimes then replace "YEAR" by "DTYEAR" and year4. by dtyear4.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation