BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yet2var
Calcite | Level 5

Dear,

I have a big file with records sorted by date. The variables can have missing data.

I would like to fill in misiing data by interpolation, but the criterion is that the no. of

records with missing data should not be bigger than 6-7 records.

I know I can use PROC EXPAND, but how can I control the no. of records.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
yet2var
Calcite | Level 5

Dear,

I have a big file with records sorted by date. The variables can have missing data.

I would like to fill in missing data by interpolation, but the criterion is that the no. of

records with missing data should not be bigger than 6-7 records.

I know I can use PROC EXPAND, but how can I control the no. of records.

Thanks

mkeintz
PROC Star

"the no. of records with missing data should not be bigger than 6-7 records.".  Do you mean 6-7 CONSECUTIVE records, or 6-7 missing records overall?

And are you saying that you want to leave such records as missing values, or do you want to drop the entire series (or maybe possibly entire series of the relevant BY group, if you have by groups)?

And if there were only 1 missing data, what sort of interpolation do you want?

regards,

Mark

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

mkeintz
PROC Star

Say you have dataset HAVE with variable X.   You want to create X1 as follows:

If X is non-missing then X1=X

if X is part of a series of 7 or more missing values, then X1=.

if X is otherwise missing then X1= a backward moving average of the last 10 records (MOVAVE 10)

I don't see how you can do that in a single proc expand,  but you could use PROC EXPAND to create dataset NEED, in which X1 is a trailing moving average for all missing values.  Then read in dataset NEED, and convert X1 to missing for all cases of 7 or more consecutive X's:

Regards,

Mark

proc expand data=have out=need method=none;
    convert x=x1 / transformout=(missonly movave 10);
run;

data want;
  /* count a sequence of records having a single X value*/
  do n=1 by 1 until (last.x);
    set need;
    by x notsorted;
  end;

/* If the count>=7 and the X value is missing set a flag */
  if n>=7 and x=. then flag=1;

/* Reread the same records, and if flag=1 set X1 to missing*/
  do until (last.x);
    set need;
    by x notsorted;
    if flag=1 then x1=.;
    output;
  end;
  drop flag n;
run;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Can you elaborate on your criterion. It is not clear what the criterion applies to. Providing a simple example would make things clearer.

PG
Ksharp
Super User
Make a group variable 

data have;
 set sashelp.air;
 if ranuni(0) lt 0.8 then call missing(air);
run;

data temp;
 set have;
 if not missing(air) then group+1;
run;

then PROC EXPEND

then DOW or Hash Table to call missing it for groups which's count greater than 6 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation