BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

Is it possible to see in sas the history of deleting (and creation) a files or folder by with user.

I am talking about externel and internal files(=sas file)

If not, I am open to others solutions( unix,....)

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
arodriguez
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

For external files I don't know, but for internal files, you have the dataset SASHELP.VTABLE.

In this table appear the library, the name of the table and when was editted and created.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This may need the auditing subsystem of your operating system.

Caveats:

will use CPU resources, and will need lots of space for the audit logs, depending on the traffic in the audited resources.

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you.

I am intersted by files was deleting

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Once a file is deleted, all traces of it are gone in SAS, as the dictionary tables are created "live" from the currently assigned libraries.

To detect the deletion of a file, one needs to audit the directory where the file is(was) stored, because deletion involves writing to the directory.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As KurtBremser has stated, this would be in your OS.  However there is also another alternative.  If you have a version control system setup (and why would you not if your programming), and the files in question are versioned through that, then you can check the history of the file via the svn repository which will give you an XML report on actions, changes, when, by who etc.

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you

But I do not have svn

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation