BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dcomtois
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I've assigned the following commands to 2 function keys to be able to display my Display Manager windows just the way I like:

wdef 1 1 100 122

wdef 1 122 100 120

sas dm wdef.png

On the image, the log window in the right is exactly where I want it to be. Same for the window behind the foremost program editor. But the editor window, for some reason, does not align and size the same way other types of windows (logs for instance) do. There is a gap at the top, one at the bottom, and it overextends to the right.

Is this a known / fixed issue?

Thanks in advance

SAS 9.2 TS Level2M3

W32_VSPRO Platform

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

Have you issued a WSAVE command after getting the editor where you like it?

Try typing WSAVE in the command box after gettting is set.

Note that resizing the overall SAS window will likely result in the saved positions not quite aligning

dcomtois
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the reply.

I tend to use shortcuts like these a lot to move and arrange my windows (including the default shift+F3 and shift+F4), so while wsave helps at startup time, it doesn't help after I've moved things around.

Regards

ballardw
Super User

Second and subsequent enhanced editor windows apparently use an offset of x and y coordinates for the upper left corner based on the previously opened enhanced editor with some fixed vertical limit and the width of the SAS window overall as limit to the right. Only the "first" enhanced editor window uses the saved coordinates.I suspect that this may be buried in the actual enhanced editor code as I have spent a little time searching registries for any entry that might be related to that positioning behavior.

There have been periodic questions about this behavior over the years but apparently not enough interest for SAS institute to implement any change.

If your second 'editor' window is the older Program window you could use that though appearance and behavior are different and so may not be sufficient for your specific need.

dcomtois
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for researching the issue... It is strange though how any other type of window will be placed according to the wdef coordinates when issuing a wdef command. Only the editor windows have this vertical offset... No matter if it is the first or any subsequently opened windows (as another reply suggests).

Regards

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
As multiple enhanced editor windows can be open it makes fixing placement more difficult
dcomtois
Fluorite | Level 6

It doesn't relate to the number of opened editor windows... Even with just one editor window open (the default empty editor), I get the same behavior when using wdef commands.

Regards

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Have a look into catalog sasuser.profile after issuing command WSAVE ALL  While in enhanced ed window.One catalog entry type (think wdef) is for screen layout options - there is one for each acreen 
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The old paper
237-31: The Personal Touch: Control Your Environment as a SAS ...
www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/237-31.pdf
Reminds me that the catalog entry type is WSAVE. This holds the screen position and size. Check the effect of a variety of WSAVE ALL commands to identify the one holding the enhanced editor layout
dcomtois
Fluorite | Level 6

The entries modified when doing a wsave with an active editor window are DMSDEF and WHOSTEDIT. But in sas 9.2 (I don't know about later versions), there is no "action" for this type of item and I am not aware of a way to visualize their content...

Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation