disabling the output window on startup?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

disabling the output window on startup?

I would like to do what it says in the title of this thread but can´t find a way to do it. Any solutions?               

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-16-2013 02:49 AM
Valued Guide

Re: disabling the output window on startup?

The issue is that your SAS session does not "start in" the folder of the sas program you double-click but (iirc) in the windows\system32 folder.

Verify this by examining the status bar (very bottom of sas window) when you open a program with double-click.

If you wish to continue working this (diuble-click) way there are few options available.

place a copy of your autoexec.sas in that windows\system32 folder

Or 2

Create a windows environment variable called sas_options holding value

-initcmd "listing off"

Or 3

Update the installed SAS config file by adding (near the top)

-initcmd "listing off"

(backup that file before changing it)

Since I spend most of my time on SAS programming I always have a SAS session open. To review another program I just drag it to SAS, so I don't need these methods.

Good luck

peter

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Amir, that works great for removing the output window but unfortunately not permanently, When I start SAS again after closing the output window comes back again.

Valued Guide

Add the statement

Dm 'listing off';

to an autoexec.sas file in the folder where you start SAS

Then your sas sessiin will start without that output window

Good luck

peterC

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter!

This would have solved my problem completely if it wasn´t for one tiny detail. When I open SAS by clicking on a SAS-file the output window appears like before.

Otherwise it is gone like you said it would  be. I created a file named autoexec.sas (that file didn´t previously exist) in my "current folder" and pasted the code you provided.

Thanks again!

Solution
‎07-16-2013 02:49 AM
Valued Guide

The issue is that your SAS session does not "start in" the folder of the sas program you double-click but (iirc) in the windows\system32 folder.

Verify this by examining the status bar (very bottom of sas window) when you open a program with double-click.

If you wish to continue working this (diuble-click) way there are few options available.

place a copy of your autoexec.sas in that windows\system32 folder

Or 2

Create a windows environment variable called sas_options holding value

-initcmd "listing off"

Or 3

Update the installed SAS config file by adding (near the top)

-initcmd "listing off"

(backup that file before changing it)

Since I spend most of my time on SAS programming I always have a SAS session open. To review another program I just drag it to SAS, so I don't need these methods.

Good luck

peter

Super Contributor

I can't validate this at present but if you have some control over your desktop (its not completely locked down) go th Control Panel - Default Programs and find the entry for .sas files.  It should specify sas.exe with some additinal parameters.  You can add -initcmd "listing off" to the parameters after sas.exe

Richard.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot! I tried what I thought would be the easiest solution and added the autoexec-file to my system32 folder and it worked!

Valued Guide

Adding a sasv9.cfg file to that folder allows you to add "invocation-only" options

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation