BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
petlove
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have to copy datasets (.SAS7BDAT) from one library to another library and convert them into UNIX dataset (.sas7bdat)

I assume that datasets present in original location are from different OS.

So to convert them into UNIX datasets, I used following approach:

libname source 'XYZ';
 libname target "abc" outrep=HP_UX_32;
 proc copy in=source out=target noclone memtype=data;run;

But inTARGET location these datasets are not present in UNIX .sas7bdat format. Since when I use datasets from TARGET location it shows following NOTE in log.

NOTE: Data file RAWCRO.XX.DATA is in a format that is native to another host, or the file encoding does not match the session  encoding. Cross Environment Data Access will be used, which might require additional CPU resources and might reduce performance.      

Please let me know.                                                                                                         

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

I don't think that note represents any problem. CEDA is a nice feature .. don't know why SAS bothers to include such a derogatory note.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
art297
Opal | Level 21

I don't think that note represents any problem. CEDA is a nice feature .. don't know why SAS bothers to include such a derogatory note.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

petlove
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for clarification.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

AS @art297 says, CEDA is usually harmless for read-only applications of your data. However, it does have some limitations and if you plan to use this data file long term in your SAS process, you might consider converting it to the native session encoding.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

This issue is marked as solved, but I want to double check with you, in case you didn't get the solution you wanted. Did you intend to: (A) convert the data set to the data representation of the target environment? Or (B) convert the data set to be used in an environment (32-bit HP-UX) that is different from the target?

A common reason customers use the OUTREP= LIBNAME option with PROC COPY is when they need to share a library with someone who is running a different operating environment. If (B) is what you wanted, and that other person is on 32-bit HP-UX, then your code is correct. When that other person accesses the data set you created with OUTREP=, they won't see the CEDA message and they won't be subject to CEDA issues.

If what you want instead is (A), to convert the data set to the data rep of the session where you're running, then remove OUTREP= from the LIBNAME. You have specified PROC COPY with NOCLONE, which defaults to the data representation of the operating environment where you are running (if you do not specify the OUTREP= option).

Note that SAS has not run on 32-bit HP-UX environments since SAS 8.2. If you're on SAS 9 then you are not running on 32-bit HP-UX.

If you are confused about your SAS session's data representation, just create a temporary data set and issue PROC CONTENTS against it:

data check_session; x=1; run;
   proc contents data=check_session; run;

petlove
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you so much..I am more looking for (A). I removed outrep= option and it does not show that particular NOTE in log.

Thank you,

Swet

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation