BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kossack
Calcite | Level 5

I'm dealing with a data cleaning problem.  We only have Base SAS but I need to find a systematic way of cleaning a list of names and addresses eliminating duplicates.

The data has been entered over years with no control of how information was entered.  For example, company names might be slightly changed and addresses entered any way someone wishes.

At present the data is manually cleaned but each time new data comes in it has to be cleaned again.

I've used so called merge purge programs in the past to clean mailing lists.

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

So what exactly is your question?

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

I like the solution from FriedEgg here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Name-matching/td-p/82780

Given your situation and the lack of Data Quality software, I would recommend getting either SAS Data Flux, or creating your own custom program. The link above is a starting point. Also, look at Link King, which has the SAS code available. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation