BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
maggi2410
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I am converting an excel file to SAS dataset using xlxp2sas. The reason I am using xlxp2sas is:

My excel file has columns with text more then 250 characters and I am using UNIX(9.2) system, and the sheet name has special characters, and the header names has special characters ..phew!!

the excel libname statement doesnt work on UNIX, and Proc import causes truncation. In short, I have to use xlxp2sas.

Nowwhen I use it on test file(with 1 row, 1 column), even throws error "ERROR: Expected an XML document prolog or element.", even on test file.

I am using the attached map file.

Do anyone has any idea to resolve this pesky error???

My code is :

%xlxp2sas(excelfile=./test.xls,

mapfile=./excelxp.map);

2 REPLIES 2
maggi2410
Obsidian | Level 7

This is a simple excel file, 2003, not an xml file

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I believe that program ONLY works on Excel XML as input: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/136-30.pdf and would not work on an Excel 2003 non-XML format file. You might want to check with Tech Support to be absolutely sure, but when I look at the paper that describes the program,I don't see any references to using it on proprietary Excel format files. The paper author includes the steps for how to explicitly save your Excel file as XML in order to use the macro program to read the Excel XML file into SAS.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation