BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thummala
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to concatenate two variables(var1 and var2) which are separated by an identifier. Can anyone suggest me how this can be made easy.

var1                                   var2                                                   var3

1. DM / 2. SV                    1. SUBJID / 2. SVDAT                        DM.SUBJID ; SV.SVDAT

1. AE                                 1. SUBJID                                          AE.SUBJID

1. DM / 2. AE / 3. LB          1. SUBJID / 2. DY / 3. TEST              DM.SUBJID ; AE.DY ; LB.TEST

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are the numbers actually in the values?

data have ;
   infile cards dsd dlm='|' ;
   length var1-var2 $100;
   input var1-var2;
cards;
1. DM / 2. SV         |1. SUBJID / 2. SVDAT  
1. AE                 |1. SUBJID             
1. DM / 2. AE / 3. LB |1. SUBJID / 2. DY / 3. TEST
;

data want ;
  set have ;
  length var3 $100;
  do i=1 to countw(var1,'/');
    var3=catx(';',var3,catx('.',scan(scan(var1,i,'/'),2,'.'),scan(scan(var2,i,'/'),2,'.')));
  end;
  drop i;
run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are the numbers actually in the values?

data have ;
   infile cards dsd dlm='|' ;
   length var1-var2 $100;
   input var1-var2;
cards;
1. DM / 2. SV         |1. SUBJID / 2. SVDAT  
1. AE                 |1. SUBJID             
1. DM / 2. AE / 3. LB |1. SUBJID / 2. DY / 3. TEST
;

data want ;
  set have ;
  length var3 $100;
  do i=1 to countw(var1,'/');
    var3=catx(';',var3,catx('.',scan(scan(var1,i,'/'),2,'.'),scan(scan(var2,i,'/'),2,'.')));
  end;
  drop i;
run;
thummala
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes Tom, The numbers are actually in the values var1 = "1. DM / 2. SV"

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Or you could try this:

data have;
length var1 var2 $100;
input var1 1-24 
      var2 25-60;
cards;
1. DM / 2. SV           1. SUBJID / 2. SVDAT
1. AE                   1. SUBJID
1. DM / 2. AE / 3. LB   1. SUBJID / 2. DY / 3. TEST
;

data  want;
set have;
length c1 c2 $33
       var3 $200;
do i=2 by 2 until(c1=' ');
  c1=scan(var1, i, './');
  c2=scan(var2, i, './');
  var3=catx(' ; ', var3, catx('.', c1, c2));
end;
drop c: i;
run;

proc print data=want;
run;

Please make sure that the lengths of the character variables are sufficient for your data.

That said, I would rather try to change the process which produces character values like "1. DM / 2. AE / 3. LB" and question the usefulness of character values such as "DM.SUBJID ; AE.DY ; LB.TEST".

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Could I ask why?  That looks like SDTM data you are dealing with, how have you managed to get into this situation.  Personally I would want to resolve issues like this far before getting to the stage of this var1/var2 approach.  

thummala
Obsidian | Level 7

That is true. Actually I have a lab data in similar format as Var 1 and Var2, but provided the same format with SDTM variables replacing the lab data.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Not really following am afraid.  Labs is based off the BDS structure, so long format.  Your example wouldn't fit that type of structure.  So all I can thinkg of is that your doing something metadata orientated, mapping maybe?  If so you may want to look at how metadata is stored.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation