coding medication discontinuation

Occasional Contributor

coding medication discontinuation

Hi all-

Here is an example of my dataset that I'm working with:

Pat ID     drug     quarter1     quarter2     quarter3     quarter4     quarter5     quarter6

1             MET          49          60               71               0                 0               48

1             TZD           65          0                  0               0                  0                0

1             ROS          0              0                   40          65               78               80

I am trying to determine medication discontinuation from this data. The values in the columns are the days_supply of the drug. I basically want to show that a drug is discontinued

from use when there are 2 consecutive quarters in which the person is not taking taking the drug (=0). So in the example above, a Patient 1 discontinued MET during quarters 4 and 5.

i'm not sure of how to exactly code this since the program will need to look at multiple columns at once and compare....if that makes any sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Super User

Re: coding medication discontinuation

Suppose you have a record such as:

1             ROS          0              0                   40          65               0               0

Do you want to report on the first period, quarters 1 and 2, the second period, quarters 5 and 6, or both?

And what is the expected output for your second example record since it has 4 sets of 2 consecutive quarters?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation