coding error: how to create a list of values by using sql into: properly

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

coding error: how to create a list of values by using sql into: properly

Hello everyone,

I have a problem creating a macro variable made up of values in different length needed.

Here I tried to store the list of  icd10 code corresponding to a certain value of another variable called ccs10Cat.

proc sql noprint;
      select distinct quote(compress(icd10Code)) format $7., "CCS10_&ccsValue."
         into  :icd10list separated by ",", 
               :ccs10Var
	        from Ccs.Icd10ccsmapping
		       where compress(ccs10Cat) in ("&ccsValue.");
   quit;

%put &icd10list;
   %put &ccs10Var;

Ideally, i could save the icd10 codes like 'I8000', 'I8001', .....'I80201', 'I80202'........ 'Z86718', 'Z8672' into the list for a value of the corresponding ccs equal to 118.

In general, an icd10 code could be up to 7 characters in length. But here the maximum that i saved is 5. As you can see the value like "I8012" was supposed to be 'I80201'.

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable ICD10LIST resolves to
"I8000","I8001","I8002","I8003","I8010","I8011","I8012","I8013","I8020","I8021","I8022","I8023","I8029","I803","I80
8","I809","I81","I820","I821","I8221","I8222","I8229","I823","I8240","I8241","I8242","I8243","I8244","I8249","I824Y
","I824Z","I8250","I8251","I8252","I8253","I8254","I8259","I825Y","I825Z","I8260","I8261","I8262","I8270","I8271","
I8272","I8281","I8289","I8290","I8291","I82A1","I82A2","I82B1","I82B2","I82C1","I82C2","Z8671","Z8672"

I'm hoping some experts here could help me fix my errors and your inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
3 weeks ago
Super User

Re: coding error: how to create a list of values by using sql into: properly

Posted in reply to Crystal_F

I'm not sure how the rules of formatting apply here, but it looks like you need to expand your format to $9. instead of $7.  It looks like SAS thinks the quotes are part of the formatted length.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
3 weeks ago
Super User

I'm not sure how the rules of formatting apply here, but it looks like you need to expand your format to $9. instead of $7.  It looks like SAS thinks the quotes are part of the formatted length.

Contributor

Posted in reply to Astounding
Hi Astounding,

As always, thank you so much for your help! It fixed my problem. Now the code works.
Super User

How is that macro variable going to be used? With both quotes and commas I foresee some potential issues passing it around in some code.

Contributor

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. May i ask what potential issue that you think of? I use the icd10list created to capture diagnosis for Phlebitis as inpatient complication from the claim data. Once a diagnosis code of a claim is found in the list and other criterion are met, the patient will be defined as having Phlebitis as inpatient complication. The relevant code is like:

else if version[s] eq '0' and dx[s] in (&icd10list) and present[s] ne 'Y' then &ccs10Var. =1;

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Super User

Crystal_F wrote:

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. May i ask what potential issue that you think of? I use the icd10list created to capture diagnosis for Phlebitis as inpatient complication from the claim data. Once a diagnosis code of a claim is found in the list and other criterion are met, the patient will be defined as having Phlebitis as inpatient complication. The relevant code is like:

else if version[s] eq '0' and dx[s] in (&icd10list) and present[s] ne 'Y' then &ccs10Var. =1;

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Sometime a macro value is passed as a parameter to another macro such as :

%somespecialtask (&icd10list);

Since you have commas in the macro variable each one in the above line would be treated as a delimiter between macro parameters. If the macro expects a single parameter that generates errors of "more positional parameters found then defined".

Next is extracting pieces from the list and then doing comparisons:

%let thiscode = %scan(&icd10list,1); for example thinking that you will get the first code.

1    %let icd10list = "I8000","I8001","I8002";
2    %let thiscode = %scan(&icd10list,1);
ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric
       operand is required. The condition was: "I8001"
ERROR: Argument 2 to macro function %SCAN is not a number.

The error is because of the comma the second code is treated as the second parameter of the %scan call.

Quotes may be more of an issue when concatenating your macro variable with other values or use with some macro functions that will treat the " as part of the value.

If the ONLY use is as done with the IN comparison in a data step (issues may arise with the macro IN depending on the value compared) it may not be a problem.

If my only use was in code such as:  dx[s] in (&icd10list) I would be very tempted to create a custom format (or several as needed) that would yield a value such a 'Valid' or similar and change the code to

put(dx[s],myicdfmt.) = 'Valid'

Or an informat that yields 1 for found and 0 otherwise: input(dx[s],myicdinfmt.) . Then the value is true(numeric 1)

One side effect is if I have to debug this macro with symbolgen and mprint then I do not get multiple lines of codes and the program flow is a tad easier

Contributor

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for sharing your insights. That's very helpful!

And yes, I only use the macro with the in comparison in a data step to avoid hard typing. But I see your point here. Could you please explain how you format 'myicdfmt.' and use it to capture the target diagnosis/condition. The way you use the put function here is new to me and I'd like to know in more details.

Thank you for your help!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation