BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Crystal_F
Quartz | Level 8

Hello everyone,

I have a problem creating a macro variable made up of values in different length needed.

Here I tried to store the list of  icd10 code corresponding to a certain value of another variable called ccs10Cat.

proc sql noprint;
      select distinct quote(compress(icd10Code)) format $7., "CCS10_&ccsValue."
         into  :icd10list separated by ",", 
               :ccs10Var
	        from Ccs.Icd10ccsmapping
		       where compress(ccs10Cat) in ("&ccsValue.");
   quit;

%put &icd10list;
   %put &ccs10Var;

Ideally, i could save the icd10 codes like 'I8000', 'I8001', .....'I80201', 'I80202'........ 'Z86718', 'Z8672' into the list for a value of the corresponding ccs equal to 118.

In general, an icd10 code could be up to 7 characters in length. But here the maximum that i saved is 5. As you can see the value like "I8012" was supposed to be 'I80201'.

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable ICD10LIST resolves to
"I8000","I8001","I8002","I8003","I8010","I8011","I8012","I8013","I8020","I8021","I8022","I8023","I8029","I803","I80
8","I809","I81","I820","I821","I8221","I8222","I8229","I823","I8240","I8241","I8242","I8243","I8244","I8249","I824Y
","I824Z","I8250","I8251","I8252","I8253","I8254","I8259","I825Y","I825Z","I8260","I8261","I8262","I8270","I8271","
I8272","I8281","I8289","I8290","I8291","I82A1","I82A2","I82B1","I82B2","I82C1","I82C2","Z8671","Z8672"

I'm hoping some experts here could help me fix my errors and your inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

I'm not sure how the rules of formatting apply here, but it looks like you need to expand your format to $9. instead of $7.  It looks like SAS thinks the quotes are part of the formatted length.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

I'm not sure how the rules of formatting apply here, but it looks like you need to expand your format to $9. instead of $7.  It looks like SAS thinks the quotes are part of the formatted length.

Crystal_F
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Astounding,

As always, thank you so much for your help! It fixed my problem. Now the code works.
ballardw
Super User

How is that macro variable going to be used? With both quotes and commas I foresee some potential issues passing it around in some code.

Crystal_F
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. May i ask what potential issue that you think of? I use the icd10list created to capture diagnosis for Phlebitis as inpatient complication from the claim data. Once a diagnosis code of a claim is found in the list and other criterion are met, the patient will be defined as having Phlebitis as inpatient complication. The relevant code is like:

else if version[s] eq '0' and dx[s] in (&icd10list) and present[s] ne 'Y' then &ccs10Var. =1;

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

ballardw
Super User

@Crystal_F wrote:

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. May i ask what potential issue that you think of? I use the icd10list created to capture diagnosis for Phlebitis as inpatient complication from the claim data. Once a diagnosis code of a claim is found in the list and other criterion are met, the patient will be defined as having Phlebitis as inpatient complication. The relevant code is like:

else if version[s] eq '0' and dx[s] in (&icd10list) and present[s] ne 'Y' then &ccs10Var. =1;

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Sometime a macro value is passed as a parameter to another macro such as :

%somespecialtask (&icd10list);

Since you have commas in the macro variable each one in the above line would be treated as a delimiter between macro parameters. If the macro expects a single parameter that generates errors of "more positional parameters found then defined".

Next is extracting pieces from the list and then doing comparisons:

%let thiscode = %scan(&icd10list,1); for example thinking that you will get the first code.

1    %let icd10list = "I8000","I8001","I8002";
2    %let thiscode = %scan(&icd10list,1);
ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric
       operand is required. The condition was: "I8001"
ERROR: Argument 2 to macro function %SCAN is not a number.

The error is because of the comma the second code is treated as the second parameter of the %scan call.

Quotes may be more of an issue when concatenating your macro variable with other values or use with some macro functions that will treat the " as part of the value.

If the ONLY use is as done with the IN comparison in a data step (issues may arise with the macro IN depending on the value compared) it may not be a problem.

If my only use was in code such as:  dx[s] in (&icd10list) I would be very tempted to create a custom format (or several as needed) that would yield a value such a 'Valid' or similar and change the code to

put(dx[s],myicdfmt.) = 'Valid'

Or an informat that yields 1 for found and 0 otherwise: input(dx[s],myicdinfmt.) . Then the value is true(numeric 1)

One side effect is if I have to debug this macro with symbolgen and mprint then I do not get multiple lines of codes and the program flow is a tad easier

Crystal_F
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Ballardw,

Thank you for sharing your insights. That's very helpful!

And yes, I only use the macro with the in comparison in a data step to avoid hard typing. But I see your point here. Could you please explain how you format 'myicdfmt.' and use it to capture the target diagnosis/condition. The way you use the put function here is new to me and I'd like to know in more details.

Thank you for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation