character date to Date9.

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

character date to Date9.

I suppose there is an easy fix for this, although I am new to SAS so it seems a little tricky at the moment.

Basically I have a date variable that is in character format ( $ 10) and looks like 06/31/2009, as an example. I would like to get that to date9. format if possible.

Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-09-2016 03:45 PM
Super Contributor

Re: character date to Date9.

[ Edited ]

Editor's Note:  Thanks to Fugue for providing an example of how to use the INPUT function to convert a character date into a SAS date and then using the FORMAT statement to apply the desired format.

Try this:

Data want;
set have;
format datevar date9.;
datevar = input ( chardate, MMDDYY10.);
run;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎11-09-2016 03:45 PM
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Editor's Note:  Thanks to Fugue for providing an example of how to use the INPUT function to convert a character date into a SAS date and then using the FORMAT statement to apply the desired format.

Try this:

Data want;
set have;
format datevar date9.;
datevar = input ( chardate, MMDDYY10.);
run;

New Contributor

Thanks very much! Would the same be the case for changing DATE9. to the numeric SAS date?

Thanks again!

Super Contributor

SAS date and time values are stored as numbers, but displayed according to the chosen format. Example:

Data want;

set have;

format formatted_date date9. /* displays stored date value with specified format */

not_formatted_date best. /* number format */;

formatted_date = input ( chardate, MMDDYY10.); /* stores value as a SAS date value (number). Format determines which date format is used to display it. */

not_formatted_date = formatted_date; /* also a numeric value, but format displays it as a number */

run;

Contributor

My current character value is stored as ddmmmyyyy so I used date9. when changing it to the numeric value. The problem is that when I look at my data set the value for that variable is the SAS date. I tried using "format dateqol date9.;" to get it into the correct format, but I am getting the following error message: ERROR 48-59: The format $DATE was not found or could not be loaded.
What am I doing wrong? I put the format statement prior to the input statement. Thanks.
☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation