BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

What option will help the following PROC GLM to also report adjusted R-squared? thanks!

PROC GLM DATA=have ;

ABSORB year;

MODEL y = a b c /solution noint ;

RUN;

QUIT;

9 REPLIES 9
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

I do not think there is such option why do not you use PROC RSQUARE

Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Mohamed!

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

A couple of points: R squared and adjusted R squared are oddly defined with models without intercepts.  Still, you could plug the R-squared value obtained from GLM into the formula for adjusted R squared (no intercept):

ADJRSQ(no int) = 1 - n * (1 - R^2)/(n - p), where n is the number of observations and p is the number of parameters fit.

Steve Denham

Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Steve! that's very helpful.

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

Steve et al.,

It was not clear to me if the model the R^2 value came from had to have any type of option in regards to the intercept or not. Do I run a normal proc glm when getting the R^2 value for the calculation. Also, do you know the name of this particular R^2 adjustment?

Thanks!

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

I didn't see a "-1" in the df line, so I am guessing the "noint" option needs to be used with the proc glm statement that generates the R^2, correct?

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

Sidenote, I get this in my Log:

"NOTE: Due to the presence of CLASS variables, an intercept is implicitly fitted. R-Square has

been corrected for the mean."

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The formula I gave for the adjusted R^2 is just the standard adjustment, except that the n-1 in the numerator and denominator is replaced by n, since the intercept is not estimated.  I don't remember where I found that, but Draper and Smith would be a good place to start. It needs to be the value obtained with the noint option, for it to be consistent.  It is a measure of the association between the response and the X values, both considered as deviations from zero, rather than deviations from the mean.

Steve Denham

KALLEN
Obsidian | Level 7

Is p the number of parameters including or excluding the intercept?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation