adjusted R-squared in PROC GLM

Frequent Contributor

adjusted R-squared in PROC GLM

What option will help the following PROC GLM to also report adjusted R-squared? thanks!

PROC GLM DATA=have ;

ABSORB year;

MODEL y = a b c /solution noint ;

RUN;

QUIT;

Super Contributor

Re: adjusted R-squared in PROC GLM

I do not think there is such option why do not you use PROC RSQUARE

Frequent Contributor

Thank you Mohamed!

Respected Advisor

A couple of points: R squared and adjusted R squared are oddly defined with models without intercepts.  Still, you could plug the R-squared value obtained from GLM into the formula for adjusted R squared (no intercept):

ADJRSQ(no int) = 1 - n * (1 - R^2)/(n - p), where n is the number of observations and p is the number of parameters fit.

Steve Denham

Frequent Contributor

Thank you Steve! that's very helpful.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Steve et al.,

It was not clear to me if the model the R^2 value came from had to have any type of option in regards to the intercept or not. Do I run a normal proc glm when getting the R^2 value for the calculation. Also, do you know the name of this particular R^2 adjustment?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I didn't see a "-1" in the df line, so I am guessing the "noint" option needs to be used with the proc glm statement that generates the R^2, correct?

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sidenote, I get this in my Log:

"NOTE: Due to the presence of CLASS variables, an intercept is implicitly fitted. R-Square has

been corrected for the mean."

Respected Advisor

The formula I gave for the adjusted R^2 is just the standard adjustment, except that the n-1 in the numerator and denominator is replaced by n, since the intercept is not estimated.  I don't remember where I found that, but Draper and Smith would be a good place to start. It needs to be the value obtained with the noint option, for it to be consistent.  It is a measure of the association between the response and the X values, both considered as deviations from zero, rather than deviations from the mean.

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation