BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AdarshSaukat
Calcite | Level 5

I need to zip few flat files, save them in mainframe and send the zipped file as an attachment via mail. Right now, SAS ODS Package feature enables zipping files (supported on a windows environment) but, I couldn't find any links for how it can be implemented on a mainframe. I do not have PKZIP installed in my shop to zip the files. So, searching for an other alternative.

Can someone please help me out in case there any options available?

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

What OS is your mainframe running?  If it is Windows then the ods package should run fine, so you submit your SAS program to the mainframe for processing and there is does the packaging.

There are various alternatives to WinZip these are 7Zip, WinRAR, plus many others - a Google will throw up many options there.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

When you are mentioning JCL it is the IBM mainframe z/OS you are talking about.

Using ODS should still be a workable approach for Zip. Using 9.4 you are getting the zip file access.

Running java is also offering some zip functionality. Ear/War files are zipped files.  Java is getting part with SAS on all machines. jar-The Java Archive Tool (Oracle)  '

For the IBM environment it is they doing the delivery of java not Oracle see: IBM z/OS: Tools - Java: Hints and tips

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It works probably easier to do zipping in a Windows or Linux machine having zip utilities available. Then upload the results.

When the only accessible machine is a IBM mainframe you have not other choice

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation