BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Frank_PFC
Calcite | Level 5

I just installed XMing on a Windows 7 64-bit machine and used its X11 server and PuTTY to SSH to our SAS installation on a Linux box. I can run SAS but the backspace, delete and insert keys are not working in the program editor. Is there a solution to this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

This sounds like if anything, probably a configuration issue with your XMing installation.  Can you use the keys in other programs through the same process?

Frank_PFC
Calcite | Level 5

I tested the vi editor and the 3 keys work perfectly. It just seems to happen in SAS windows.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Unfortuneatly I am not incredibly familiar with XMing, Whenever I interact with unix through windows I would choose to use a proper VNC rather than the X11 forwarding methods XMing seems to employ?

Frank_PFC
Calcite | Level 5

Solved my problem but not to my satisfaction.

Xming documents the fact that not all flavours of Unix operate under Xming when the NumLock key is enabled.  The solution is to disengage the NumLock key, killing any opportunity to use the numeric keypad. See NumLock entry in the following:

http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/trouble.php

What good is a keyboard if you cannot use the numeric keypad? To me, this was not a solution to my problem so I am still looking for a solution.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I still feel that using a more standard technology for cross system vitualization is your proper solution, such as VNC, which is available for all flavors of *nix relativly problem free.

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello  both

i was smiling a little when you were speaking about those keys

as since a very long time in a x11 context from windows to reach a sas session on unix or linux

i had encounter the problem; With nx, cygwin or xming

the solution is have found is to deposit on each user linux root a "SAS" file without extension with this kind

of contents:

!!  These definitions were processed by Reshelper:

SAS.keyboardTranslations: #override \

Mod2<Key>KP_1: sas-insert-char("1") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_0: sas-insert-char("0") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_2: sas-insert-char("2") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_3: sas-insert-char("3") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_4: sas-insert-char("4") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_5: sas-insert-char("5") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_6: sas-insert-char("6") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_7: sas-insert-char("7") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_8: sas-insert-char("8") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_9: sas-insert-char("9") \n\

Mod2<Key>KP_Decimal: sas-insert-char(".") \n\

Mod2<Key>osfBackSpace: sas-delete-prev-char() \n\

Mod2<Key>osfInsert: sas-toggle-insert() \n\

Mod2<Key>osfDelete: sas-delete-char()

Mod2<Key>osfBeginLine: sas-home-cursor() \n\

Mod2<Key>osfEndLine: sas-move-end() \n\

I think you can try the fifth last lines

and then under a basic linux session

pass

setenv XAPPLRESDIR ~yourlogin

Andre

ps  when i was testing stability of Xming under W7 for the opening of the numerous sas windows (outside/without a general gnome windows)

the users were appreciating more the Nx product than the dancing Xming windows

(in the future Nx is annoucing a new way (leaving any cygwin trace) through Firefox or IE

Frank_PFC
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Andre. What you propose is a solution, albeit a rather clumsy one for what is really a hardware issue.

I've since installed Exceed 2007 on my Windows 7 machine which initially displayed the same problem. However, once I switched from the Common Desktop Environment in Solaris to the Java Desktop System Release 3, the keys in question started working. The GUI is rather slow but SAS processing does not seem to be affected so I will continue with Exceed 2007. I will consider NX in the future if needed.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you run the reshelper utility that comes with SAS?  It should let you hit the keys on your keyboard and see what X key they appear as and then generate a SAS file that you can store in your home directory that will map the keys to what you want SAS to do with them.

Frank_PFC
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I did. The keys have the correct assignment but do not work at all in the program editor. I initiate Xming as the X11 server then I SSH to the SAS server via PuTTY and start SAS from a terminal window.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation