Wrong Symbol in a Boxplot

Occasional Contributor

Wrong Symbol in a Boxplot

I am troubleshooting a boxplot of 3 treatment groups:

TRT1 ooo

TRT2 ***

TRT3 +++

Plotted by Visit (x-axis).

If a given visit happens to contain all 3 treatments, no problem.

But if a given visit only contains TRT2 (*), it appears in the plot with the symbol for TRT1 (o).  Symbolorder = DATA (although I've tried INTERNAL and FORMATTED with no success).  I have confirmed that the correct treatment (TRT2) is present in the incoming dataset.

Any ideas what I can start looking at to fix this?

TIA,

Suzy

Occasional Contributor

Re: Wrong Symbol in a Boxplot

Adding to the above:  MISSBREAK didn't help.

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Where are you trying to do this?  In GTL there is an option nocycleattrs which may help.  I would general suggest going the GTL route anyway so you can explicitly specify your symbols.  Check out the blog at: http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/

Should have many examples.

Grand Advisor

It helps to have the code used to diagnose as well as the version of SAS you are using as the ODS graphics have changed significantly in each release. With SAS 9.3 and later you may want to investigate the DATTRMAP option to assign appearance attributes to specific values.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, everyone, but we got it fixed. Smiley Happy  I was (incorrectly) told that there was only 1 incorrect symbol--so when I tried the correct fix, I noticed other changes in the plot, and assumed I must be wrong.  Further research showed that my original fix was indeed the correct solution (removed symbolorder=data and used the correct order variable). 

But I appreciate the quick responses!!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation