BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
branbran
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

For my current project I need to create one profile for each patient based on many different medical visits. I am wondering if there is a way to tell SAS to only keep the record from the most recent visit (when the patient was the oldest). Each patient reports their age for each visit and there is a unique identifier for each person. I have figured out how to drop the duplicates when the age was the same, now I need to figure out how to get only the most recent records from each patient (the record when they were the oldest). Any suggestions on how I could do this in SAS?

2 REPLIES 2
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

So you don't have a visit date to associate with each visit? Using patient reported age seems shaky. But if that is only what you can leverage, Proc SQL seems to have a straightforward approach:

proc sql;

select * from have

group by patid

having age=max(age)

;

quit;

patid is the patient identifier, change it to fit your variable name.

Haikuo

Ksharp
Super User

You'd better to post some dummy data to explain your question more clear.

proc sort data=have;

by pid descending age descending visit;

run;

proc sort data=have out=want nodupkey;

by pid ;

run;

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation