BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
docctong
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using the prxmatch function to search for words in a variable.  However, I got results that are not perfect match.  In particular, I was trying to search for the word "tree", but I also got "street".  How do I get a perfect match, i.e., to exclude results that have words that include words that I am actually searching for?

Thanks.  

5 REPLIES 5
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you're searching for or what you're data might have, but for the example you provided something like prxmatch('/\btre\b/i', my_text) should fix the issue. The \b signifies a word boundary. If you just had a space, you would not find any "tree" values where "tree" starts the string.

docctong
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the reply.  Below is the code that I had written and trying to find the cases that broken tree is involved:

data spct.tree;
set treedata;
if prxmatch("m/trees|limbs|branches/oi", combined_description) > 0 then tree=1;
else tree=0;
run;

However, like I said, the results include cases that show something like "a man walking on the street" because "tree" is part of the word street.  Since I have multiple words, as you can see, that I put in to search that I think is related to tree, how or where do I add the "\b" option so to take care of the problem?  Thanks and truly appreciate your help.  

collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

Again, this might not do everything you want depending on your data, but this is how you'd incorporate the word boundary into your code:

if prxmatch("m/\btrees\b|\blimbs\b|\bbranches\b/oi", combined_description) > 0 then tree=1;

Note that you can also get the 0, 1 boolean you want by using:

tree = prxmatch(....) > 0;

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

To match singular and plural words, you could use "m/\b(trees?|limbs?|branch(es)?)\b/oi"

\b means word boundary

? means match zero or one occurence

PG
docctong
Fluorite | Level 6

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation