Why so much spam,spam,spam!

Super Contributor

Why so much spam,spam,spam!

This reminds me of a Monty Python scene...but hey, how ironic if I'd post something like "Watch this Monty Python scene"

Frustrating to go through 15 pages(the maximum possible) to find them (pages) all full of spam.

Rrrrr

PROC Star

Re: Why so much spam,spam,spam!

Posted in reply to AncaTilea

I sent SAS a possible solution, but haven't heard anything regarding how it was received.  What I had suggested was giving such a control to a small neighborhood watch committee (of users) who were provided with an icon that, if clicked, would instantly delete the spammer's account and remove all of their posts.

SAS Employee

These spammers are creating real Web profiles that can be used on all of our Web properties.  (Of course, what they are after is the community).  They are using email systems that, in some cases are valid like gmail and yahoomail, and in other cases are temporary email domains.  That makes them very hard to stop and requires us to purge them from multiple systems. 

I apologize for the amount of spam they were able to create.  It should all be out of your way soon.

-Renee

Super User

Posted in reply to reneeharper

Many sites uses a dialog where the user is to print the numbers that is visible in an image. By prompting for this when creating new threads, should make spamming more difficult...?

Data never sleeps
Respected Advisor

Sounds like good idea to me. Also would it be practical to blacklist those spamer's IP address? I know it could hurt some private VPN users, but I can't figure out a reason when one of us has to use private VPN service for the forum.

To be honest, from the content that spamer is promoting, I think they are wasting their time targeting the wrong crowd Smiley Happy. Shame.

Haikuo

Trusted Advisor

Linus,

I hate those things.  They would drive me from the site.

Doc

Respected Advisor

Doc,

Linus' suggestion applies to creating NEW thread only, which IMHO is not a big deal if you have a question to ask or a comment to make. I would hate it also if it applies to everything.

Haikuo

Super User

One would think that the second or third post within less than one minute of a very first post might be a clue...

Super User

Perhaps we shouldn't consider this question answered just yet.

I consider us fortunate in a way.  It was inevitable that there would be some sort of battles to fight along these lines, but at least these seem innocuous.  (Not that I would ever suggest opening one of the messages.)

I like Art's point about giving "delete ID" power to a handful of known posters. 

Can these IDs be created by machine?  If so, SAS could require the entering of a displayed code to create an ID initially.  It wouldn't stop the spammers, but it would make it more costly for them to invade.

Super Contributor

Posted in reply to Astounding

Hi.

I don't know how to mark it s not answered once I marked it as "assumed answered"

But it seems to be a continuous issue.

Yesterday different users had various ideas on how one (SAS Forum) could control for this spam.

Anyhow...:smileyplain:

Super User

No problem.  I should mention, I also don't mind counterattacks.  Since they need an email address to register, we have some power here ... if only to register their own email addresses with their sites to get them to spam themselves.

Super Contributor

Posted in reply to Astounding

Oh,sure.

We have the power.

The power to know.

SAS.

Smiley Happy Ehehe.

Super Contributor

It is unbelievable that it takes SAS so long to fix the problem. 

Super Contributor

Just FYI - Spam is actually named after that very Monty Python skit!

Super Contributor

:smileycool:...

I chuckle:smileylaugh:, but still frustrated a bit.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 12 in conversation