Why and when do we need to use command line in sas .

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Why and when do we need to use command line in sas .

Hi ,

I came across the command line option in sas recently . It looks pretty cool to me in some ways but I want to hear from experts in this community why and when we may need to use the command line option in SAS .

Regards

Pradeep Singh

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-22-2014 11:38 AM
Valued Guide

Re: Why and when do we need to use command line in sas .

Yup Arthur, that is the command line in the DMS system of SAS.

As SAS institute is moving to server based processing with solutions all based on the BI/Di intelligence platform that is becoming useless (sorry).

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

All Replies
Valued Guide

What do you mean by the commandline?

There are:

- In the SAS DMS approach you  have DMS commands  SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for UNIX Environments, Fourth Edition

In Unix X11/X-server it is a dedicated window. There are DMS-commands to control the DMS environment 

- In the classic line mode approach TTY SAS(R) 9.4 System Options: Reference, Third Edition (nodms)

With proc permtest stille used to validate keys/passwords. When installing validating sas OS scripts also usefull.

- The System Operating interface indicated as (x-cmd) usage?.

This one is onder pressure as SAS-users are seen as some type of jerks not allowing to do something on the OS-level.

This is also cause by the fact sas is often installed using group accounts to run sas-processes. Group accounts are making is hardly to follow who is responsible,

Doe it makes sense to block that x-cmd? Fore surely not:

- when it is your data,

-  you are running by your personal key

-  the OS security controls are conforming business policies,

then who cares?  

It was closed on SAS 9.1 9.2 on the desktop by default but reset to open again 9.3 and 9.4 versions. On servers it is still closed.

Business (SAS customers) people are hiding behind SAS institute as having some reason. SAS institute is hiding behind the argument their customers are telling them to do so. In the regulations where all are hiding behind there is something different said. The security controls should be based on personal keys.

Business should have their ICT policies with security well documented and the applicable chapters handed over to their suppliers.

Do not expect when the shell usage for you is a hot-item you cannot get, the x-cmd usage would override that getting that by sas.    

PROC Star

I've always found the command line useful in doing things like clearing one's log or output file, as well as running interactive SAS programs like insight.

Solution
‎11-22-2014 11:38 AM
Valued Guide

Yup Arthur, that is the command line in the DMS system of SAS.

As SAS institute is moving to server based processing with solutions all based on the BI/Di intelligence platform that is becoming useless (sorry).

New Contributor

Thank you Arthur and Jaap . I believe since existing point and click options do most of the things that command line in the DMS system does,it does look quite useless.

PROC Star

Don't be too quick to rule it out, even though SAS Institute has been going in that direction. Most of the professionals that I've known over the years have liked SAS because of its inherent always expanding programming capabilities and the combination of ways in which they can be accessed.

With only using available point and click capabilities, one loses out on much of the power that SAS has offered over the years.

Super User

Example: You have a text file associated with a fileref MyFile and you are debugging code to read it. You want to see the file with Columns and rows indicated.

How do you that with point and click in dms?

Command line: FSLIST Myfile;cols;rows;

Know the name of a dataset to examine but don't like trying to scroll through all the members of a library such as sashelp?

Command line: VT library.datasetname or if you have AF/FSP module licensed: FSVIEW library.datasetname which provides lots more tools AND you may have to play around to get the point and click to use FSVIEW

Reference of all currently assigned fileref

Command line: Filename

Command line: Title will bring up a window to see and edit the current Title statements in effect. Footnote is similar.

Just a few commands I use frequently.

And I have actually actively disliked SAS removing the SYMBOL, AXIS and Legend windows.

Valued Guide

I agree with Arthur that promoting only the "available point and click capabilities" is a marketing/sales blunder.

The best power of a tool, any tool, is when it comes to how to use the coding options. Common having more variations and options than can be offered in a GUI.

The fundamentals how to solve things are even more important. A switch to an other tool, upgrades with new options should give no issues.

It is the limited time vision of some management that are focussing on tool clicking skills.

With SAS:

- UE is having an editor/log/results like the DMS system although it is not the DMS

- EGuide is good tool for programmers having editor/log/results and code nodes (no DMS).

It is sold as just click/drag interface, byt that having caused a lot of acceptance problems by programmers.      

New Contributor

I got the point now .I was looking for a real world scenario where a programmer might need to code these command line options in his program to achieve a particular functionality .

Super User
Super User

Not for a "program" but to use SAS interactively.

I use the command line instead of point and click because it is easier for me.

Having the concept of a command line available means that there are commands that can be called. You can even program SAS macros that generate commands to run from the command line. 

For example if I want to include a call to macro MYMACRO into the program I am currently editing I just type "gmc mymacro" and the GMC macro finds the macro's source file and pulls the macro header out and pastes it into the program editor at the current cursor location.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 5 in conversation