BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mirisage
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Forum,

I have been trying to merge the attahced two files (simplified ver) for hours using the below code but could not.

Specific question:

File_A has a single record whic is not taken into the merged file called "COMBINED_file". There is no any errors in the log too.

Could anyone please help me.

proc sort data=A.BOOK1 out=file_A;

by bank_number Account_number ;

run;

proc sort data=A.BOOK2  Out=file_B;

by bank_number account_number ;

run;

data COMBINED_file;

merge file_A (IN=a)

file_B (IN=b)

;

by bank_number account_number ;

if a and b;

run;

Thanks

Mirisage

6 REPLIES 6
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Worked fine for me.  I got 5 records in the result file.  I am using SAS 9.3 TS0M1 and did the merge with your code and with SQL.

Maybe you need to reframe your question and show us what you want the results to look like.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I just saw your postings in the SAS Procedures forum.  For the sake of your fellow community members, please post your questions to just one forum.

Thanks,

Doc

Mirisage
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Doc,

Thank you.

I am sorry I wanted to post this in SAS procedures forum only. I posted it. Then it did not appear in SAS procedures forum. Then I again posted. Then appeared.

I can now understand what has happened. I have first posted in this forum inadvertently.

I apologize.

Best regards

Mirisage 

sachinselva
Calcite | Level 5

hi can u please tel me how to merge two files without any common variables.

ex:

first table.

itemcode    item name                      stock

111             colgate toothpaste            10

222            pepsodent                        20

second table.

customer id    name    product   count

501                selva     vatika      3

502                kumar     meera    5

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Next time, you should post your new question as a new discussion...

If you want to merge two datasets on the order of observations (first obs from first dataset with first obs from second dataset, etc.) then do :

data third;

set first;

set second;

run;

dataset third will have as many observations as the shortest of first and second datasets.

PG

PG
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

You could check out the following link, which references a section in the SAS documentation that covers combining SAS datasets. It's powerful, but not like any other language out there (quite different from SQL).

Tom

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/65287/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p15jvywi5avt3cn1bee8...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation