BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dipu
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have to get the transaction between 13Sep2013 and 23Oct2013. Is this a correct syntax??

Where trans_date variable is in datetime format i.e. 23OCt2013:00:00:00

proc sql;

Select

Trans_date    from m1.transaction 

where  datepart (transaction_date) between '13Sep2013'd and 23Oct2013'd

quit;

please guide

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

You are using both trans_date and transaction_date .. are there really two different fields?

Also, you are missing a quote before the 2nd date and need a semi-colon before the quit statement.  i.e.,

proc sql;
  Select Trans_date
    from transaction
      where  datepart (trans_date) between '13Sep2013'd and '23Oct2013'd
  ;
quit;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

That should work as it truncates the time portion to the date.  You do have to be careful about using data from external databases that might not support the datepart function.  SAS can't pass that function through to the external database and so it would return all rows and perform the selection locally.

Are you having issues with the query as it is currently constructed?

Dipu
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Dbailey,

first time when I ran it, it took time and but could not give any result in the log window the query was printed as it is w/o any note or error (actually it had a syntax error as Arthur mentioned).

Arthur thank you too, both trans_date and transaction_date are one and the same, it is just a typo error. I rectified it.

Will wait to see the query resolved. I was confused not sure for the code since transaction_date/trans_date is in datetime format.

Thank you

art297
Opal | Level 21

You are using both trans_date and transaction_date .. are there really two different fields?

Also, you are missing a quote before the 2nd date and need a semi-colon before the quit statement.  i.e.,

proc sql;
  Select Trans_date
    from transaction
      where  datepart (trans_date) between '13Sep2013'd and '23Oct2013'd
  ;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation