BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

All, 

I am new to SAS and still exploring the basics. However, I have a conceptual question that people might have previously run into. Would appreciate if the community members guide me in the right direction. 

If I develop an algorithm in SAS - can this logic be exported out of SAS for use by other applications  ?

For e.g. I can generate .exe or SQL Stored procedures for my logic in many languages. I would like to see an exhaustive list of all the formats if any that SAS logic can be exported. 

Appreciate all the help

Best 
Uday 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Going by distant, hazy recollection ...

I believe that Enterprise Miner can output scoring code in PMML.  For what it's worth, of course.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

That depends. If it's a statistical type model there is some functionality for that, but SAS is designed for Statistical Analysis (Statistical Analysis Software), it's not designed to create standalone applications and I wouldn't recommend using it for that. In general, you'll need whoever wants to use your algorithm to also have SAS installed.

@UdayGuntupalli wrote:

All, 

I am new to SAS and still exploring the basics. However, I have a conceptual question that people might have previously run into. Would appreciate if the community members guide me in the right direction. 

If I develop an algorithm in SAS - can this logic be exported out of SAS for use by other applications  ?

For e.g. I can generate .exe or SQL Stored procedures for my logic in many languages. I would like to see an exhaustive list of all the formats if any that SAS logic can be exported. 

Appreciate all the help

Best 
Uday 

ballardw
Super User

Generally not if I understand your question.

If mean by exe a "stand alone program developed with SAS that does not require a SAS installation to run" pretty much a firm no as I understand it.

SAS Proc Sql code is mostly ANSI standard though, as most flavors of SQL do, has some functions available not in standard.

However the code would have to have the SAS Procedure wrapper Proc sql; quit; removed and have to be moved into another environment that lets you paste scripts where that environment has like named libraries and data sets.

The LOGIC can be exported but done by a human. I haven't seen any expert system yet that was reliable enough to say that the process was easy or automatic, similar to "comment compilers" from years back.  I have developed processes in SAS for testing as the code was more flexible than another languages code, FORTRAN in my case. But I still had to know the elements of both languages.

UdayGuntupalli
Quartz | Level 8

@ballardw
         So, is it not possible to leverage solutions developed  through SAS to be implemented where my data sits i.e. for e.g. if Salesforce is my data source , then would I need to pass all the data to SAS and not perform the analysis developed in SAS at my data source ? 

Ideally, I would hope if the logic is exportable, then it can be deployed at the data source to avoid moving large amounts of data or am I looking at this the wrong way ? 

ballardw
Super User

@UdayGuntupalli wrote:

@ballardw
         So, is it not possible to leverage solutions developed  through SAS to be implemented where my data sits i.e. for e.g. if Salesforce is my data source , then would I need to pass all the data to SAS and not perform the analysis developed in SAS at my data source ? 

Ideally, I would hope if the logic is exportable, then it can be deployed at the data source to avoid moving large amounts of data or am I looking at this the wrong way ? 

A generic question gets a generic response.

If you have data in  specific data base then you can access that data from SAS which may move things around.

You may have to be very specific in describing what you mean by "logic". There are large number of tools and modules in SAS that do different things. Browse around this page: https://support.sas.com/software/ for awhile to get a feel of how SAS works with different types of solutions. You are very likely to find some answers there. Or contact the SAS sales office about what you need to get a better targeted response.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

SAS can use pass-through logic to execute the logic on a remote platform. For example, if a shop has Teradata, SAS can pass TD SQL to TD and have TD perform the logic locally then send the results back to SAS.

If the question is "can I code something in SAS and then convert the logic, automatically, to Python, Java, C#, etc. the answer is no. You can use those languages to call SAS and perform individualized functions but you cannot convert from one language to the other except manually.

https://github.com/savian-net
Astounding
PROC Star

Going by distant, hazy recollection ...

I believe that Enterprise Miner can output scoring code in PMML.  For what it's worth, of course.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation