BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jchang53
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I want to store a ~65-100 KB SAS Catalog permanently in sasuser. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what are the risks involved with doing so? Most specifically, as it relates to space, processing time, and other unforeseen variables. Thanks!

Edit 06/25/2018 1254: I edited this post's subject to clarify my question from "storing a SAS catalog" to "storing a large number of permanent formats" in sasuser.

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Out of interest, why do you want to store it in sasuser?  That then becomes harder to find for other users and can be confusing.  Normally files would stored on your network drives for wider access.

That catalog is small, shouldn't be an issue.

Though, this is the biggy, why keep something in catalog?  They are proprietary binary file format, and if you have noticed the 32bit/64bit switch over made catalogs not work, they have to be copied across then re-created, which is both work and if you don't have source not possible.  I can't say this enough, use open portable formats like text, csv etc. as much as possible.  Resort to binary files only when there is really no other option, as the slightly smaller file size and load time are just not worth the inherent risks of the file format.

Reeza
Super User

65-100 kb is large?

@jchang53 wrote:

Hi,

I want to store a ~65-100 KB SAS Catalog permanently in sasuser. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what are the risks involved with doing so? Most specifically, as it relates to space, processing time, and other unforeseen variables. Thanks!

ballardw
Super User

SASUSER may get overwritten or completely replaced by different SAS installs.

SAS version changes involving "bitness" or just versions can render a format catalog useless.

Make sure you know where the code for the formats is stored and I highly recommend creating any format catalog with the CNTLOUT option to have a data set of the format in  the same library. The data set can be used to recreate the data set.

And third don't put data in the SASUSER library. Create your own permanent library and have the library assigned to all of your SAS sessions. The SASUSER library is more intended to hold your profile information than working data.

jchang53
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply. I want to amend my initial question. I am looking more for the potential risks with storing a large number of permanent formats in sasuser (not the actual SAS format catalog) as opposed to storing the permanent formats in a temporary (work) library. (sorry- If I need to post a new question I can). 

Reeza
Super User

From a user perspective some possible issues:

1. Is it clear what formats are available?

2. What happens if a user creates a format with the same name? Do they know how SAS will treat the format? This may cause unexpected behaviour?

3. How are the formats maintained? Is there a specific user who maintains it? If it needs updates is the source readily available or are the formats locked down?

4. Is there a process to ensure the formats are maintained through upgrades?

@jchang53 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I want to amend my initial question. I am looking more for the potential risks with storing a large number of permanent formats in sasuser (not the actual SAS format catalog) as opposed to storing the permanent formats in a temporary (work) library. (sorry- If I need to post a new question I can). 

You don't need to repost your question, you can even edit your original question, though I would suggest you add on, not delete the original post because it gets confusing to understand for people new to the discussion.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation