BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ada_lam
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am now developing a product (which is going to be released in the market ) related to managing the data of xport files. 

I would like to know whether I can use SAS.UV.Transport.dll and SAS.UV.Utility.dll  (just copy from the SAS Universal Viewer ) in the Windows Forms application. Would it cause any licensing problems? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26
You would be better off mailing SAS support so they can work with you on licensing items. On here, only the forum admins are associated with SAS, and I doubt they could speak with regards licensing and such like.
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Only SAS could answer and my guess you would get silence until a letter from SAS legal showed up.

in the software industry, you cannot lift someone else's dlls for use in your product.

Why can't you just recreate their functionality vs trying to lift them?

https://github.com/savian-net
Reeza
Super User

@ada_lam wrote:

Hi,

I am now developing a product (which is going to be released in the market ) related to managing the data of xport files. 

I would like to know whether I can use SAS.UV.Transport.dll and SAS.UV.Utility.dll  (just copy from the SAS Universal Viewer ) in the Windows Forms application. Would it cause any licensing problems? 

Thanks!

Check the licensing with the software, but my guess is yes, it will cause licensing problems. If you want to create a tool related to SAS your best bet is to talk to them directly. 

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Look at this article to get you started on your own work:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/492449/Transform-between-IEEE-IBM-or-VAX-floating-point

ada_lam
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you everyone for answering my question.

As I am a beginner in software industry, I really do not know much about the licensing agreement of free software. 

Thank for the advice. I think I would contact SAS directly and seek for further advice.Smiley Happy

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Word of advice: do not contact SAS for permission. they do not operate that way. If you need to read/write the SAS transport file, figure it out yourself. It is an open spec (the only one SAS has provided) and ignore using their dlls.

SAS is a great company but they do not go outside for solutions. If you have to use the SAS transport format vs sas7bdat, just write your own engine or rethink what you are doing.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Oh, I hadn't even noticed the Xport files part.  In which case, unless there is a legal requirement to do so (there is in my industry unfortunately) don't.  Xport is ancient, its also binary.  Use plain open file formats except in extreme circumstances.  CSV, XML, Json, plain text are all far better than binary proprietary file formats, more portable easier to work with and less licensing issues.  Even Office has an Open Office format now (even if its still zipped!).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation