BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Experts,

I need help to understand whenver we do SAS system migration (upgradation) from old version to new version (like in my case SAS 9.1 to SAS9.4) in that case what are the things that we need to take care of? I know the answer of this question will be vary from system to system and requirement, but still if somebody has done this in their organization, can add some comment which will be real helful for me. In my Organization we have CRMS 4.2 product which is also part of upgradation so i am basically looking for the same, also we are going to replace SPDS with Hadoop/Grid structure. I request all those who had done similar upgration to put your valuable comment and link to any document which will help me to identify know issue/risk for such upgradation.

Thanks in Advanced,

Regards,

Tushar J

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

What is CRMS?

And I can't really see what you are migrating to. Do you refer to the newly announced Sas grid within Hadoop or is it LSF? Also what will you use Hadoop for? Hdfs, Hive... Feels like that your migration is quite unique so it's hard to give relevant advice based on a forum post. Be aware that SPDS supports hdfs in 5.2.

Data never sleeps
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Linus Hjorth ,

Thanks for your quick reply, CRMS 4.2 is SAS banking solution called Credit Risk Management System (so insimple word SAS banking solution given in.sas code and not UI based product). Yes i am refering SAS Grid within Hadoop and its yet to be decided whether its going to be Hdfs or Hive, So basically i am looking for what are the basic this that i should consider like,

1) If am migrating whole SAS code , libraries , metadata , SAS Di jobs from version 9.1 to 9.4 so what are things i need to take care?

2) What are the known risk/issue

Regards,

Tushar J

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Everytime you have a major version upgrade like this, don't just migrate. Grab the opportunity to set up a new logical structure and avoid all the mistakes made in the old version. Especially since the metadata structure has changed significantly from 9.1 to 9.2/9.3/9.4 (which prevents 9.1 clients from connecting to 9.2 and above, while later clients can cross-connect - eg we have EG 4.3 and 6.1 working with SAS 9.2 as backend)

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Since you haven't decide on the target environment you need to wait for the complete design first.

Seems risky to jump on a solution that's not even not on the market yet, and that together with an existing environment, which is engaged in production business processes I presume.

Since your are changing the environment quite a bit, SMU is out of the question. So this will not only be a migration project, but a major development release as well.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

That is major technical switch as too many updates/releases have been missed. That "keeping up to date" could be a design issue to solve.
As you mentioned the CRM solution have a look at the system requirements System Requirements--SAS® Credit Risk Management for Banking 4.8

It is the latest release and not running 9.4 but 9.3. Have a look at all mentioned tools (BI/DI miner etc) that surely a UI based environment.  

ETL/DI is also very UI based with SAS metadata.  The resulting model (miner predictive formula)  may be easy but to process to get it is not.

The SPDS approach could be outdated and better replaced with a more modern product. But is telling you have some bigger datasets where the sizing of the hardware matters.

Seeing this I get a feeling you are not done with a review on the current usage.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Linus Hjorth,

You are right its not just migration but major relase, And its also true that introducing any Hadoop with existing storage system is still under discussion, all i am looking is, to start on basic steps (we called a precaustionary steps) which we can go through before this change, so that it could be usefull while implementing such change. I will certainly share more detail as soon as we decide approach and environment details for this change.Thanks again for your Valuable comment Linus Hjorth.

Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks KurtBremser,

For your suggestion, thats real helpful. Smiley Happy Thanks Jaap Karman for your suggestion, i will go through that link and will take care of complete review of current system.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation