BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AliJ
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have to update missing values in a in both coulmns using value of adjacent coulmn as refernce for search. refer to below example

Coulmn 1Coulmn 2
A1
A
B2
B

As in ROW1 values are available for both coulmn, i want to update missing values in ROW2 & ROW3 , please guide How ?

17 REPLIES 17
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Look up the "lag()" function and "SAS by processing" (first and last);

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

assuming that the first record of each by group is never missing i did this coding and still the table does not update.you know why,just curious?

data one;

input Cou1 $ Cou2;

cards;

A    1

.    1

A    .

B    2

.    2

B .

;

data two;

set one;

by cou1  notsorted;

lag_cou1=lag(cou1);

lag_cou2=lag(cou2);

if not(first.cou1) then do;

if cou1=' ' then cou1=lag_cou1;

if cou2=. then cou2=lag_cou2; end;

proc print;run;

Astounding
PROC Star

When you encounter a missing value for COU1, you are also encountering FIRST.COU1=1.  So your IF THEN group will not execute.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

but cou1 is never missing when first.cou1=1.At least that what the table above shows?

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Lag is not appropiate for this problem.  But there are easy ways to get the desired result.

data a;
   input C1 :$1. C2;
   cards;
A    1
.    1
A    .
B    2
.    2
B    .
;;;;
   run;
data av/ view=av;
   set a;
   retain dummyby 1;

run;
data coalesced;
   update av(obs=0) av;
   by dummyby;
   output;

drop dummyby;
   run;

;
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Slick! There are also ways get it simply done in one step, inspired by the name you used "coalesced",

data a;

input C1 :$1. C2;

cards;

A 1

. 1

A .

B 2

. 2

B .

;;;;

data b ;

set a;

retain _1 ' ';

retain _2;

c1=coalescec(c1,_1);

c2=coalesce(c2,_2);

_1=c1;_2=c2;

drop _:;

run;

Haikuo

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Yes but you to write more code: rename and assignments, etc.  The MISSING CHECK feature of the UPDATE is a powerfull alternative applied to all the variables.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Yes, DN! And I have to use Array() if more variables get involved, the code will be increasingly bulky.  I was thinking of using Update, but didn't go far enough to introduce a dummy id variable. Another trick I learned from you!

Haikuo

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

sorry,what does  this line below exactly do?

update av(obs=0) av;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Have you looked at the documentation regarding the UPDATE statement?

WRT the line in question, it reads observations from the transaction data using the UPDATE statement.  The UPDATE statement requires exactly two data sets as input a master and transaction.  This technique uses a dummy master av(obs=0).

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

the av(obs=0) was actually confusing me.Merging a table with rows with  a  table with no rows and still achieving the results

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

It's not merge.  The transactions are "overlayed" with the missing check not allowing  a missing value to update a nonmissing value.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

i thought the reason you created dummyby  was to merge the 2 sets

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The BY statement is required when using an UPDATE statement so that the, potentially multiple, transactions can be assigned to the proper record in the master.  You are allowed to add new records to the MASTER via UPDATE, hence the use of a MASTER table with no observations.

Data _null_'s twist on the standard UPDATE that makes it work for this type of Last Observation Carried Forward application is to add the OUTPUT statement.   So rather than collapsing the whole dataset into one row per BY group the data step emits an observation after each record read from the transaction table.  So we end up with the same number of observations as we started with.

Missing values in the transaction table do NOT overwrite the values already in the variables, hence the previous value is "carried forward".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation