BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Benzula
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

So I have an issue, I want to be able to update a SQL Server with a CSV file that I have imported into SAS and I think my Syntax is just wrong or I'm missing a step.

Step 1: I went to File Import and found the file for it to connect to and brought the data in

Step 2: Take the Data from said CSV and drop the table and replace it with the new information.

below is the structure I have. I am pretty sure the "Data Imported From FILENAME_OF_CSV GOES HERE" is the issue I just can't see to figure how to do it. I am not sure if I need to use the Merge function or what.

PROC SQL;

connect to odbc(dsn="MY_SERVER_NAME_GOES_HERE");

Select * From DATABASE.SCHEMA.TABLE GOES HERE

execute (

select *

into DATABASE.SCHEMA.TABLE GOES HERE

from Data Imported From FILENAME_OF_CSV GOES HERE

) by odbc;

disconnect from odbc;

QUIT;

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Pass thru SQL cannot access data imported into SAS - it passes commands directly to the server so all the data required must live on the server already.

You need to use implicit pass through or a different method to load your data. 

@Benzula wrote:

Hello!

So I have an issue, I want to be able to update a SQL Server with a CSV file that I have imported into SAS and I think my Syntax is just wrong or I'm missing a step.

Step 1: I went to File Import and found the file for it to connect to and brought the data in

Step 2: Take the Data from said CSV and drop the table and replace it with the new information.

below is the structure I have. I am pretty sure the "Data Imported From FILENAME_OF_CSV GOES HERE" is the issue I just can't see to figure how to do it. I am not sure if I need to use the Merge function or what.

PROC SQL;

connect to odbc(dsn="MY_SERVER_NAME_GOES_HERE");

Select * From DATABASE.SCHEMA.TABLE GOES HERE

execute (

select *

into DATABASE.SCHEMA.TABLE GOES HERE

from Data Imported From FILENAME_OF_CSV GOES HERE

) by odbc;

disconnect from odbc;

QUIT;

Benzula
Calcite | Level 5

So if my file name that I imported was Master_Table would the below be the right way to do it implicitly? The Step before this function says "Data imported from Master_Table.csv"

And my database was DB1

Schemea DBO

Table Name = Table1

proc sql;

select *

into DB1.DBO.Table1

from Master_Table

quit;

Reeza
Super User

Read the docs 🙂

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=sqlproc&docsetTarget=n1spf244gkq54cn13bbiy307hknr.htm&docsetV...

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------
   Output 4.4 Rows Inserted with a Query

-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
proc sql;
   create table sql.newcountries
      like sql.countries;

proc sql;
   title "World's Largest Countries";
   insert into sql.newcountries
   select * from sql.countries
      where population ge 130000000;

select name format=$20., 
          capital format=$15.,
          population format=comma15.0
      from sql.newcountries;

You would use an INSERT INTO to add your data. 

Another, possibly easier to code option may be a PROC APPEND, if the data is assigned via a libname. 

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

I'm not sure of your SAS skills level, therefore I would recommend you read some of the SAS online help in order to avoid us from saying/recommending an approach beyond your programming knowledge!

IF you have Microsoft SQL Server, you can access it via SAS/ACCESS Interface to Microsoft SQL Server or SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC . It all depends on which SAS/ACCESS product your organization have licensed.

Depending on how you establish connection to your SQL Server tables, be it via

- Libname Statement ---> Data Step & Proc data manipulation techniques. Including Proc SQL.

OR

- SQL Pass-Through Facility ---> Only Proc SQL techniques.

If the data in the CSV file is considered

- New: --> Insert operation

- Update: --> Update/Modify operation

- Mixed (New & Update): --> Update/Modify operation

Look for the corresponding syntax that matches your desired operation within your approach (SQL / Data Step)

Thanks,

Ahmed

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So you used PROC IMPORT to create a SAS dataset out of the CSV file and you now want to append those observations to can existing table in SQL Server?

Create a libref that points to your database/schema and then use PROC APPEND to add the records.

libname x odbc ...... ;
proc append base=x.tablename data=dsname ;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation