Unstandardized regression coefficients are unrealistically big

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unstandardized regression coefficients are unrealistically big

Hello everyone,

I have situation in simple linear regression  where is:   max. value of Y variable (a*) = 3,31

min. value of Y variable = - 0,85

max. value of X variable (pH) = 6,56

max. value of X variable = 6,28

their mutual change is shown in picture 1.

After that, i get regress. equation:  - 95,37 + 15,03*(pH)

For prediction, the equation is ok , but for interpretation of the results, those coefficients are 10 time bigger (and tottaly unrealistic) then interval of my data....My question is whether I can for discussion say: Y differs 1,503 units for every 0,1 unit difference in X...

Tnx,

Tomislav

Attachment

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-02-2014 03:58 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: Unstandardized regression coefficients are unrealistically big

The strait line provides a reasonable fit to your data. In most situations, a change of one pH unit is a major change. Just use as a unit what is useful for interpretation in your field. Don't forget that the center of the pH scale is around 7 for most people, thus the magnitude of the intercept (i.e. zero is very far away).

PG

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

The size of the coefficients depends on the slope and intercept, and does not depend on the "interval of my data".

So, I don't see the problem.

Contributor

I know that the size of the coefficients depends on the slope and intercept, but that was not my question

Esteemed Advisor

I believe what you said is how one would interpret such a coefficient, presuming analytical assumptions were met, and your graph appears to confirm that.

Contributor

Hi Arthur,

I wanted to know if there is a possibility (in paper discussion) to say: Y differs 1,503 units for every 0,1 unit difference in X, than (classical) Y differs 15,03 units for every 1 unit difference in X.  In results section, equation will still be Y(pred.) = - 95,37 + 15,03*(pH).

(I ask this because theoretical background of my field)..

Tnx,

Tomislav

Esteemed Advisor

I'm not a statistician but, if you multiply the dependent and independent variable by the same amount (in this case .1), the intercept would change to its current value*.1, and the coefficient would remain the same.

Thus, if you are going to report it in those terms, you probably should show the graph and equation in those terms as well. As for the the theoretical background in your field, though, I wouldn't differ from what your colleagues are used to seeing.

Grand Advisor

Check the model assumptions, normality of errors etc.

pH is on the log scale so sometimes making a transformation to a log scale for the regression is usually recommended.

Contributor

Hi Reeza,

Yes..sometimes...but in this case no....

there is no outliers in errors, and they are normally distributed (p value of Shapiro-Wilk test is 0,873), there is some degree of autocorrelation (U from Durbin-Watson test = 1,92) and heteroscedasticity (p value of Breusch - Pagan test is 0,445) , but i'm using Newey-West standard errors to resolve this issues..

Tnx

Trusted Advisor

Hi,

You are concerned about the big numbers, which seem to be inconsistent with your analyses expectations. Looking at your plot. it is evident that there are two groups of values around the straight line one at the start and second at the end of the line. I would suggest do some segmentation before running the regression analysis. It may lead towards better estimates within each segment and as a result better predictions.

Solution
‎12-02-2014 03:58 PM
Respected Advisor

The strait line provides a reasonable fit to your data. In most situations, a change of one pH unit is a major change. Just use as a unit what is useful for interpretation in your field. Don't forget that the center of the pH scale is around 7 for most people, thus the magnitude of the intercept (i.e. zero is very far away).

PG

PG
Contributor

Thank you PG,

That's the answer i wanted to hear.....((pH chagne by one (either in plus or minus) is not possible with this exp. design))..

Respected Advisor

Do not ignore suggestion however. If those two clusters represent distinct groups, part of the a* difference between them might not be due to pH. The true relationship with pH might look like Picture 2 (hand drawn).

PG

PG
Attachment
Contributor

First (lower) cluster was made by two groups. Relationship between a* and pH for only this two groups are strong linear and indentical to your marking on picture, but relationship between a* and pH for 3rd group only, is strong cubic...

Perhaps the relationship between those two variables will be different if there is more samples per group. However, those changes are caused by the salt penetration in fish muscle (by osmosis process) which leads to a protein denaturation - the fall of the pH value and decrease colour values (in red - green spectrum).

From my perspective and goal of analysis, i will describe relationship between those variables through entire salting process (2, 4 and 6 hours - which represent groups)....

However, i really appreciate your help..tnx

Tomislav

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation