BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dw_vt
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm sure this question is common.

I'm in lesson 7 of the e-course "Programming 1 Essentials" where I am to execute the code:

libname orionx pcfiles path="&path/sales.xls";

System response:

ERROR: The SERVER= option is required for establishing a
connection through the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.

This may mean I don't have the Oracle virtual-box setting correctly?

I do have "Shared Folders" configured for a folder in my Window's 7 PC hard drive - in the virtual-box config.

Can someone point me to the steps I need to perform to ensure I'm able to continue?

Thanks

Duane

3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Please read this previous response to the same question:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/Lesson-7-Reading-Spreadsheet-and-Database-Data-I...

Bottom line, we knew, in advance, that students using the Univ Edition would not have the correct PC File Server helper files to use the LIBNAME engine. So the Excel files (sales.xls, custfm.xls, etc) were not provided in the course for UE students.

Please note the screen shot in the previous posting. You are explicitly instructed to write the code, but NOT submit the code. You are to compare your code to the solution to see if you understand how the LIBNAME engine for EXCEL works.

Cynthia

dw_vt
Calcite | Level 5
Well I think I may have figured it out.
In my C Drive my shared folder was not named "myfolders". By creating this and resetting the virtualbox configuration to it. The files in this folder now show up in the SAS studio "Files and Folders" listing, and I can use PROC IMPORT to access an Excel file that I've created.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Great figuring that out! The LIBNAME engine method, as you've discovered, is not the ONLY method of importing Excel files. In your career as a SAS user/programmer, you'll have to become conversant about the many different methods. We do recommend that you study the LIBNAME syntax method that's covered in the course, especially if you plan to pursue certification and take the exam.

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation