URL REDIRECT

Occasional Contributor

URL REDIRECT

Guys,

We created CNAME Entry in DNS for our Portal so people won't have to type the full qualified domain name for the Information Delivery Portal but the CNAME you can only do to the root so if your URL is http://xxxxx.xxxxx.xxxx.xx/SASPortal the CNAME can only be entered for the FQDN http://xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx.xx/

so when you enter the ALIAS we chose you get the page (Welcome to SAS 9.4 - Congratulations you have successfully set up SAS Web Server) is there a way to redirect through TomCat to take them directly to http://xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xx/SASPortal so they can get the login screen and authenticate.

Hope that makes sense.

P.S is it even recommended to mess around with the redirect in Tomcat.

Thanks

Valued Guide

Re: URL REDIRECT

SAS is using a predefined packaged version of the webtier.  It already very difficult to administer that one.

As you are using a DNS-server for logical names, you could also use a real LAMP supporting that level of support with redirects to the real SAS location.

A redirect is also possible as a html file.       

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Jaap,

Thanks for your reply. How would you possibly use an html file for redirect and where would you incorporate that. I see the index.js call the redirect on main in the information delivery portal web application so how would you redirect.?

Thanks

Valued Guide

Suppose you have a lamp available somewhere and you can manage all names to that.

You can redirect to almost anything with the tools for that on that one.

Still needing a html and javascript, you can change almost anything form one string to another with javascript.

I did the long time ago. I have a sample of an index.html

Attachment
Super User

From my point of view, I think there are many options.

It is true that SAS Web Server is predefined by SAS, but this does not mean that is an Apache like any other.

And I can't not agree that it is hard to administer, as it is standard apache (vFabric), but with some additional modules and a couple of config files mor

As with any Apache, you have the same options for the Web Server:

- You can install and configure any additional module (compatible with the Apache version)

- It is already including the rewrite module (plenty useful).

- You can create an .htaccess file with redirect rules

I.e.

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/$

RewriteRule (.*) /SASPortal/ [R=301]

- Or include a line as RedirectMatch ^/$ /SASPortal/

- Or use the Redirect directive as

<Directory />
  Redirect permanent / http://xxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xx/SASPortal/
</Directory>

- etc (aka additional creative solutions, as the one proposed by Jaap, but that one requires an additional LAMP (web server with additional software) only for that purpose, with the additional administration/maintenance. What is Ok ir you are ready for it, I also implemented that solution a couple of times, and not only for SAS.

New Contributor

can you please give me complete one by one steps for redirect at my mail id : kapilgujjar27@gmail.com

i want to change url as bi-sas.com
Valued Guide

Now we have a bunch of solutions to achieve the goal.

By the way, Juan that level of apache configuration is a possible one. I got the negative experience going for that one by lack of support at SAS and internal organization.

As it is a web-server it caused the trouble nobody felt responsible for that. Internal Architects wanting it to be replaced by .... SAS support not understanding why you would prefer an easy dns name with some business application naming convention.  Big company politics.  

Super User

Yes, I can understand the frustration on the political and support levels. I think that depends a lot on the specific people you are contacting to and from my experience I can say that is not a SAS-specific difficulty. Always the same with big software retail companies.

So sometimes, it is a matter of luck... theoretically it should not be on that way.

In any case, if you don't have enough knowledge on a SAS (or any other software) component, you need support from the Software provider (SAS in this case) and follow the directives and instructions (all politics) if you want to have the support. But if you have enough knowledge, the good part with SAS is that you can configure and play around quite a lot.

And the approaches/solutions already commented, are very standard, not creative solutions, so that is what I learnt.

Valued Guide

juan, then my objection is your classification of a creative solution. Java script is very common. As the main page (index) was accessible it could catch and convert all traffic no matter how weird the parameter (after the ? are) just going to w3schools JavaScript HTML DOM Document

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation