Translate a data set to EBCDIC *before* it leaves the server rather than upon arrival.

Trusted Advisor

Translate a data set to EBCDIC *before* it leaves the server rather than upon arrival.

Transferring data sets to the mainframe costs too much as the translation to EBCDIC is done when the file arrives.

Is there a way to have the *sending* SAS session do the translation work?

I tried using OUTREP= option to create an EBCDIC table on the Windows machine, but I suspect it is translated back to ASCII in order to be read, before being sent to the mainframe, where it is translated again to EBCDIC.

Any better idea?

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Translate a data set to EBCDIC *before* it leaves the server rather than upon arrival.

What about using encoding=ebcdic in the sending session?
Data never sleeps
Respected Advisor

Re: Translate a data set to EBCDIC *before* it leaves the server rather than upon arrival.

A binary file transfer should fix that.

Esteemed Advisor

As far as I can interpret the reference documentation, outrep= creates a table in the target format; you would then have to transfer the dataset file in binary mode to the z/OS system, using any suitable tool (FTP, ....).

What do you mean by "costs too much"? Are you being charged on the mainframe per CPU ticks, or is the SAS performance on the MF so dismal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Trusted Advisor

@KurtBremser @SASKiwi binary transfer works for directory based OSes.

Z/OS would not know what to do with a *.sas7bdat file, and it would require further processing. No? How would this work?

Yes the financial cost is too high, the speed is fine.

@LinusH I'll try.

Thank you all.

Respected Advisor

OK if its a SAS dataset and you are moving it from one OS to another you have at least two choices:

• SAS/CONNECT if installed at both ends can handle the translation transparently without you doing anything.
  • Use PROC CPORT on source OS to create an ASCII transport file, binary transfer it to target OS (FTP?) then use PROC CIMPORT to read in into an EBCDIC format SAS dataset. 
Trusted Advisor

> SAS/CONNECT if installed at both ends can handle the translation transparently without you doing anything.

"without you doing anything" is the sore point here. The receiving host translates the data to its session's encoding format. And this is expensive.

I want the translation to happen on the sending host. A binary transfer of an EBCDIC flat file created on windows would allow this, but there would need to be a data step to infile/input it and therefore no gains, but increased complexity. Same thing with a transport file, which would have to be cimported.

Trusted Advisor

Mmm. Nothing seems to work.

Transferring cport files with proc up/download is also an issue, and the documentation only mentions NFS or FTP as valid transfer methods (https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/movefile/63050/PDF/default/movefile.pdf page 22) which is very silly.

I guess I'll open a sasware ballot idea entry for both these SAS/CONNECT limitations.

I reckon the most logical way would be to use:

rsubmit WINBOX;
  proc download data  =TABLE
                out   =TABLE(encoding='open_ed-1047' outrep=MVS_32) 
status=no ; run; endrsubmit;

Esteemed Advisor

IIRC, a SAS library on z/OS is a partitioned mainframe data set where the SAS datasets are members. The format of the PD defines how members are stored in it.

Transfers should be done like this from the MF side:

- declare and create the PD for the catalog (take parameters like blocksize etc from existing SAS libraries)

(assume the file is called XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ in the catalog)

- do an ftp from the MF to the UNIX/Windows:

binary

get opensystemdata.sas7bdat 'XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ(DATA)' (replace

This could(!) end up with a dataset DATA in library LIB if you issued

libname lib "'XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ'";

on the mainframe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Advisor

I haven't tried ftp as the windows server doesn't have an ftp service. But you are right I need to try.

Esteemed Advisor

TBH, I never transferred SAS datasets like that, but I used FTP to move flat files to the MF.

Trusted Advisor

I wonder what the difference is between a binary transfer with ftp and sas/connect.

Esteemed Advisor

I guess that SAS/CONNECT uses a common format for the transfer and leaves the conversions to the endpoints. Especially the conversion to/from EBCDIC will happen on the MF.

Since a binary FTP really only shuffles bytes from A to B, it will be the least CPU-intensive method. If it works as intended in your case.

Trusted Advisor

Sas/connect does binary too. So in that case they should be equivalent. It looks like they are not though.
Esteemed Advisor

What I meant was that if you can do the conversion to a z/OS SAS dataset on the Windows/UNIX side, and then use just the mainframe's FTP client to transfer, you can offload the conversion CPU ticks to the open system side.

Although SAS/CONNECT will use a binary transfer in between the hosts, the conversion to EBCDIC will surely not happen on the Windows/UNIX side, instead it will be done on z/OS.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation