BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sms1891
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

I have a time series data with rate of blood cultures per 1000 pts for 34 months (before and after intervention, indicated by Variable "Intervention" - 0=before intervention, 1= after intervention). Month variable is recorded from Jan 2015 through Oct 2017. I want to see if intervention made a difference in rate of blood cultures (i.e. decrease in the blood culture rate). How do I test this to show a significant difference (with p-value)? Also please explain me how to get the % change in Y-axis for the blood culture rates and slope.

I have no clue how to test this in SAS. Any help with is much appreciated. I am attaching the data (excel sheet) below with the variables.

Data Variables:

1. Cult_Per_1000pts

2. Month (jan2015 to Oct 2017)

3. Intervention (0/ 1 - 0 for months before intervention, 1 for months after intervention)

4. Time (1- 34, indication months in order from beginning (jan2015) to end (oct2017)

Thank you very much in advance!

1 REPLY 1
cau83
Pyrite | Level 9

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for.

ods graphics on;
proc ucm data=Culture_Rates_for_SAS;
	irregular;
	slope plot=smooth;
	level plot=smooth;
	model cult_per_1000pts=intervention;
	estimate;
run;

This will show a negative, significant effect of intervention. But that does not get at a change in the slope.

If you remove "=intervention", and then examine the slope plot, the slope doesn't change. Perhaps there is not a significant change in the slope, but the intervention is successful in achieving a one-time drop in the level.

To address the % change question:

data Culture_Rates_for_SAS;
	set Culture_Rates_for_SAS;
	log_cult=log(cult_per_1000pts);
ods graphics on;
proc ucm data=Culture_Rates_for_SAS;
	irregular;
	slope plot=smooth;
	level plot=smooth;
	model log_cult=intervention;
	estimate;
run;

If you log the culture variable, your interpretation of the intervention coefficient and the slope are now % change. Rather than a decrease of 4 units, intervention is -16.7% and the slope is about -2.2%. This would imply that the slope is getting flatter: 2.2% decreases will be of smaller nominal value as the culture level approaches zero.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation