BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Krysia24
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a SAS EG project file (version 7.1) that  I created two months ago and never had issues with it. Anyway, I opened the project today to work off of and while the project opened just fine (and the import steps were working), if I click on the program portion, I had this error: "the file associated with this view could not be located." And the program does not open.

How can this be? How can my project exist but not the program and how do I retrieve the program? Thank you all in advance for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

You may need to provide additional information. SAS will allow creating a view from an external file, such as a text file. If that external file was renamed, moved or deleted that could be a cause and would have nothing to do with EG project.

Can you export the code from the project? If so check to see if you have a reference to a view.

Another possibility, since you mention importing data, is that the import steps may not have actually completed and so you opening the code attempted to use something that was not quite available yet.

Krysia24
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply! So what kind of information would you need? I tried to export the code and all that exported was the code that SAS uses to export... Also, I can't even open the program without it erroring so I can't actually see its contents anymore. I can, however, verify that the import steps run in full.

ballardw
Super User

I was hoping you'd be able to export code from the existing project to verify that there weren't any syntax issues and them possibly import that back into a new project.

I don't use EG because it is often next to an impediment in the types of ad hoc queries most of my data gets. So recovery of the odd type file projects are stored in is out of my knowledge base.

Can you get a log for someone to look at? It may provide some information.

If your organization has backup software it may be worth asking if there is a version of this project in an archive.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

EGPs are zipped folders. In case of an emergency unzipping it could be the only way to find out what went wrong. You will find the contents of your project in numerous xml-files, code is stored in normal sas-program-files.

On opening code, i have never seen such an error message.

JohnSAScom
Quartz | Level 8
Can you tell me if the program is embedded or not? To find out:
Right-click on the program
Left-click on Properties
Under the General tab, check the Embed button. If it's not greyed-out, then it's not embedded, and there is a physical file location in the File path text box. That means your program is stored separately from your EG project. If it was moved, renamed or deleted, your EG project won't have access to it anymore.
Krysia24
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there, I checked to see if the file was embedded and it seems to be embedded. Does it make sense to receive this error given that the program is indeed embedded in the project file?

JohnSAScom
Quartz | Level 8
If it is embedded, then it's stored as part of your EG project file (*.EGP). If that's the case and your still getting that weird message, your best bet would be to access backup copies, if they were made. I would try the suggestion @Andreas_Ids made, but now it's getting complicated. I've never come across that error either. Sorry, probably not the news you were hoping for. 🙁

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation